User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Note to self

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to self

Watch for incoming birds. About a quarter second later my camera was on the ground and I was where my son was. That'll learn me for going outside during magpie season. Not a great "photo" but definitely a keeper I think. We ended up leaving the park because the darn thing just wouldn't leave him alone. JKW_9545.jpg by JDFSandH, on Flickr
    *click*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no!!! Look, I am absolutely frightened of the swooping maggies and plovers. I fell off my bike a month ago because he actually was hitting me. So scary. I learnt that it is the male bird that does this and only 3% (or was it 13%...it had a 3 in it!) of the birds will swoop. The more people flap their arms and yell and carry on, the more they will be aggressive to other people.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agrree that it's a keeper (especially with a fraction of a crop).

Since it's not for CC,
    allow me to tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    ..... The more people flap their arms and yell and carry on, the more they will be aggressive to other people.
    'tis true. Turn around look them in the eye, see what happens. If your wearing a helmet while riding, stick big eyes on the back of your helmet.

We had a particularly aggressive one nesting in our yard a few years ago. The operator of a tourist attraction over the road ended up calling NPWS (he wasn't the only one to call them) to come and kill it, as it was bombing their customers in the car park.
    We know the head of the wildlife service, so he rang and asked if we wanted the bird gone. We said it wasn't our decision but would rather people learned to live with it. He said they'd rather not kill, but the occasional bird had to be. Wrong place wrong bird. If it was in the middle of nowhere it wouldn't be a problem for people.
    Eventually enough people complained about this bird that the NPWS turned up at our place. Our friend was at our front door and had just finished saying, "so where's this problem bird?" when it dive bombed him. Worst thing it could have done. It was shot within the minute.
    It had accepted me as part of it's territory 'cause I didn't get in a flap when it started attacking me (the only one to ever do so). I would just turn around and look it in the eye.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Mark, you are correct. I have read that too. Also, they seem to not like bikes and they said that if you hop off your bike and walk they are less likely to attack.

I totally disagree with killing these birds. They are only being protective and it doesn't last forever. I just don't go down that street now.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I tried not to make a fuss. Just kept eye contact and grabbed my son. Don't know why it picked on him. My 3yo was running around too. Didn't care about him haha.
    I have heard that magpies are one of the easiest birds to train. Not sure how true it is. I don't condone killing a bird for swooping. Even though I'm terrified.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFSandH View Post
    I don't condone killing a bird for swooping.
    I tend to agree, though the bird in my story was one of the few really aggressive ones. It actually attacked and had drawn blood from many people.
    "Wrong place wrong bird. If it was in the middle of nowhere it wouldn't be a problem for people."

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get some are an issue. I meant as in I wouldn't wish harm for most.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a keeper. They can be scary especially when you don't hear them until they are on top of you. The only time they worry me is when I see them swooping school kids on bikes and they end up weaving all over the place to avoid them.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree and it is a great image, and I acknowledge that it is difficult to look a big bird in the eye, especially when it may be about to damage that eye. Perhaps there are avian psychopaths that need permanent corrective training.