User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Newb. D5200. Old AF lens Cant get past aperture lock msg.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb. D5200. Old AF lens Cant get past aperture lock msg.

Hi all,
    So much to say but so little time. Just got my D5200, just about to head off on a trip and still reading the manual

Not a total newb to SLR but this is the first one I have owned.

A friend loaned me his macro lens(off his old D200 camera) its an Nikkor AF 60mm
    Great looking lens too but when I attach and turn on my D5200 it locks the camera with a "lock aperture ring to highest F number" message pretty much forces me to do this. Once there I can manually do everything (which I understand I have to as its an older style lens) except change my aperture to something useful. Taking shots at F32 limits your range a bit
    I was expecting to set the camera to say F5.6 and the ring to 5.6 so they match and go from there adjusting Sspeed to get the exposure right. But as soon as I move the Aring of of F32 it locks me up with that message again ;(

I did some googling but cant quite understand whether I can or cant use this lens. Would be a shame if I cant but not a sky falling disaster.
    From what I read everything has to be in manual and probably no light meter.. I can live with this,,I just need to get it to allow me to move the Aring

any thoughts?

cheers
    Last edited by Vector; 16-09-2013 at 10:22am.