Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 50mm versus 100mm Macro lens

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50mm versus 100mm Macro lens

I'm thinking of buying a new macro lens, pretty much exclusively for macro work ( sounds logical). I'm looking at 2 options. A 50mm & 100mm. Both are F/2.8. Reviews I have read say the 50mm is slightly sharper and also lighter & cheaper so I'm leaning towards that but am I missing out on anything by not going for the 100mm lens?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which brand/model of lens and are you talking about a FF camera or a smaller sensor?

At any rate, all that matters is your intended application as I'm sure either lens would be fine for its intended purpose (macro).

Remember that most macro's are fine as normal lenses, ie at distance, so if you don't already have a 100mm lens then a 100 macro would be ideal as a portrait lens or short tele. Chances are you already have something in the 50mm focal length, so the 50 macro would be a single purpose lens, possibly.

A 50mm will force you to be closer to your subject, which I find a bit awkward, especially if you need space for lighting. However if you use a hotshoe mounted flash, ring light etc. for lighting then that won't be a problem anyway.

I prefer to use longer lenses because you can stay a little further from your subject, and it can be easier to light your subject. I regularly use lenses between 75-120mm for macro although I also use a 55mm macro. It just depends on the application.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be right in their face where you frighten them off when you touch something and take the chance of get bitten or stung get the 50mm.. You could find it hard to focus that close also, there could possibly be too many things in the way

A macro lens is also a good portrait lens another reason for going longer.. Its also a good Birding lens when they are close enough

If you want to shoot like the majority of members here do, have a look at the Tamron 90mm cheapest , if Canon 100mm or Nikon 105mm. Sigma also have a 105mm look at that one also though I know nothing about it.

I shoot with a Canon 100mm L macro lens and a Tamron 90mm macro lens and they both seem to be very sharp.
    Hoping this has been of some help and I will look forward to seeing the replies from other Members.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Canon 60mm and Canon 100mm macro lenses and prefer the working distance of the 100mm. The closest focusing distance was approx. 20 cms for the 60mm and is approx. 30 cms for the 100mm. Although the extra 10cm doesn’t sound like a huge improvement, I find it really helps in not spooking the insect.

The other feature of the Canon 100mm F2.8 that I value is the tripod ring, as I have my flash mounted on a ring that connects to the footplate of the tripod ring.

Cheers

Dennis
    Last edited by nardes; 16-09-2013 at 7:23am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response folks. Based on your sage advice I will go for the 100mm. It sounds a little more versitle and may be a little easier to accomidating.