User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: canon 400 5.6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

canon 400 5.6

Are there many canon 400 5.6 users on here and if so are you happy with this lens. I used to have the 2.8 400 but found it to big and heavy also a risk using from my canoe and boat. When I sold the lens I planned on getting the 5.6 but never did, now that feeling for more magnification is back due to my daughter using her powershot sx 50 and showing me up. Its mainly for wildlife and surf shots.
    Jon

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly, this lens would be narrower than your older 400/2.8. Is the reach long enough for your purposes
    (?boating, wildlife). As for your being shown up by the Canon SX50, I really wouldn't worry. Have you seen the review here?
    Yes, a "1200mm" equivalent, but the whole thing rates 72%.

My nephew bought one. I have tried a couple of shots with it... Yea-hh-hh--hh!
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great lens for the money and is light enough to easily carry, you will notice a loss in contrast to the 400 2.8 and those 2 stops you will most likely need to compensate by upping your iso. I find mine easier to use than my 100-400 but thats more poor technique on my part. Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a great lens, I waited expecting a redesign and IS, but decided to get it and forget the rumours. I use it hand held,
    regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been doing the same wait, probably time to bite the bullet.
    Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one recently - great for Birds and Butterflys - if you have enough light and keep the shutter speed up (no IS) works well handheld -but mostly use on a light tripod - and then get a lot more keepers - see a lot of reviews saying it is one the of the best Bird in flight lenses - and has proven very good at that.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had both several times but now have neither preferring bigger whites. Like most birders I shoot mainly early morning & early evening & found the prime struggled in less than ideal light.
    The same applied to the more versatile 100-400. Zoom or prime choice for 400mm depends on personal preference.
    For the money you can't go wrong with either but if birds in flight is going to be a priority I would choose 400 f 5.6. If IS the zoom.
    Last edited by Tony B; 22-09-2013 at 11:42am.