Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience buying through DWI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience buying through DWI

I'm looking to buy a new Nikon 70-200 F4 VR lens and DWI are offer a great price but still in excess of $1200. Their Terms and conditions say the purchaser pays the import duty so I checked on their phone number what this amounts to. Their rep suggested that the ATO seldom if ever seeks the tax. Anyone got experience of buying goods over $1000 through DWI and getting a separate import tax bill?

S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What happens is that if the goods cost over $1000.00 you could be liable for customs duty and GST on your imported product before it is delivered to you here in Australia. One thing to consider is that any fees payable are calculated based on a customs database on the value of goods, not on the price you paid. So you might pay $1200 for your lens but the customs database shows the Australian RRP as $1600.00, so you pay duty and taxes based on that $1600 price.

Yes, often people do not get 'caught' and thus do not pay any extra, but you need to consider the possibility in your purchase cause if customs do stop your parcel, the only way you will get your goods is to pay the taxes.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For camera equipment you are only dealing with 10% G.S.T. for items above $1000, if customs bother picking it up.
    Not sure that Rick is right with the Oz value of the goods.
    "The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency." It potentially also includes postage and insurance you paid (or are invoiced) for the goods.
    http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp You have to go down to Calculating Duty and Taxes to find my quote about Customs value.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    For camera equipment you are only dealing with 10% G.S.T. for items above $1000, if customs bother picking it up.
    Not sure that Rick is right with the Oz value of the goods.
    "The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency." It potentially also includes postage and insurance you paid (or are invoiced) for the goods.
    http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp You have to go down to Calculating Duty and Taxes to find my quote about Customs value.
    Thanks, it used to be the value that customs deemed the goods to be worth. Maybe that has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought all their lenses were in stock in sydney??
    thats where mine came from.
    So Im not sure how youd get stung with tax if its already in the country.
    cheers cam

Ps for god sake use Paypal.
    Last edited by cameronpatrol; 11-09-2013 at 10:05am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronpatrol View Post
    I thought all their lenses were in stock in sydney??
    thats where mine came from.
    So Im not sure how youd get stung with tax if its already in the country.
    cheers cam

Ps for god sake use Paypal.
    DWI is based in Hong Kong, all stock is shipped from there. Are you sure you are talking about the same company?
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-09-2013 at 10:15am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both Mark & Rick are correct. Its GST on cost + postage & handling, but Customs can review the price & if it looks artificially low they can use Australian RRP. If you don't agree with their assessment you can appeal.

I also bought a lens from DWI about 4 months ago, approx $1700, listed as in Australia so GST deemed to be included, but it took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive so I believe it had to come in from HK, but at their expense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    DWI is based in Hong Kong, all stock is shipped from there. Are you sure you are talking about the same company?
    This is where mine was shipped from, off my invoice.
    It arrived in 3 days, normaly when i sget stuff from the states, its a week or more.
    And when I had to send it back it went to sydney as well.

Ship From: Digital World International
    Unit 10, 31/F, Trendy Centre
    682-684 Castle Peak Rd, Cheung Sha Wan
    KOWLOON NSW HK
    AUSTRALIA

Im guessing they have warehouses here that stock most items.
    as their contact numbers are in all states as well.
    Last edited by cameronpatrol; 11-09-2013 at 10:56am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is where mine was shipped from, off my invoice.
    It arrived in 3 days, normaly when i sget stuff from the states, its a week or more.
    And when I had to send it back it went to sydney as well.

KOWLOON NSW HK
    AUSTRALIA

Their contact numbers are just VOIP. When you phone, you speak to HK. They just have local numbers for ease of contact, and those numbers redirect to HK. They have a holding address in Aus for returns etc. All stock is shipped from HK. Yes they get stuff delivered in 2-3 days. They don't have a warehouse in Aus at all.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-09-2013 at 11:06am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Their contact numbers are just VOIP. When you phone, you speak to HK. They just have local numbers for ease of contact, and those numbers redirect to HK. They have a holding address in Aus for returns etc. All stock is shipped from HK. Yes they get stuff delivered in 2-3 days. They don't have a warehouse in Aus at all.
    Ahh ok
    jeez thats pretty good delivery times then.
    thanskf or clearing that up
    cheers cam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After spending 5 figures through DWI in a few years - I havent been charged for GST/customs etc. I pay what is quoted on website including shipping fee.

Stuff sent to Sydney is usually through their sub contracted/third party warranty and repairers, and all products come from HK.

Quite a few colleagues and myself spent nearly $3000 with grip on a 5D3 when they came out, no GST or customs paid. I havent met or heard from anyone who had paid it either, except reading it on the internet.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick is right Customs can do the valuation of the goods if they so desire this is from the link you supplied;

Duty is determined on the Customs value of the goods. The Customs value of the goods is usually the amount you paid for your goods, converted to Australian currency. The exchange rate that is used is the rate applied on the day the goods were posted or exported.

Jack
    Pentax K5iis, k7 plus lenses from 18mm-600mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought a few thousand $ through DWI and their service has been excellent. Very quick service and never paid GST. It is a natural question to ask. As it has been pointed out... you COULD be stung with GST. But I challange you to find someone that has

Hope that helps.

danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    I've bought a few thousand $ through DWI and their service has been excellent. Very quick service and never paid GST. It is a natural question to ask. As it has been pointed out... you COULD be stung with GST. But I challange you to find someone that has

Hope that helps.

danny

I am with you on that Danny. Anyone that warns about the perceived GST/customs fee on DWI or its other half eGlobal, probably hasnt spent big through DWI.

I will continue to do so in the near future

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also a reminder to everyone, if you click on the green DWI (<----) anywhere on AP, or on their banner ad, to get to their site and do your purchase, AP gets a little commission on your purchases. Thus we can keep AP free for you to join and use, pay for all the site running costs and get some prizes for you to win, like all the USB drives we are giving away at present in the competitions.

Your purchase from DWI (<<-- there is that green link again),or any other site advertiser, doesn't cost you a cent more than going directly to their site. So when you decide to purchase, use the links from AP to do so, please!
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-09-2013 at 7:05am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to add that I got my D800 from E-Globel (Virtually the same as DWI). Came from HK, took 4 days, and no GST. My 120-300 Sigma lens came from DWI, no GST there either.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KOWLOON NSW HK
    AUSTRALIA

Ha Ha. Castle Peak Rd, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon is in Hong Kong. Whether they mix it with 'NSW, AUSTRALIA' to try and confuse customs.....strange indeed.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post

Hope that helps.

danny
    Interested to see if customs are ordered (and supplied more staff) to be more vigilant on this by our new govmint. Seem to remember them siding with Gerry and other retailers complaining about the non-G.S.T. applied to imports under $1000.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have removed several posts from this thread. They were not about DWI, and also breached the site rules for new members (rules 3-7) and posts quoting these were also removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just had my first buying experience with DWI and I have to admit that I was impressed even though there was a small hiccup.

I put my order in on the 16th of Sept, however four days later I saw that my order had not been shipped yet even though I'd paid for express shipping. Emailed them with the details and they got back to me straight away full of apologies and saying that they were waiting on stock to arrive. Two days later I got a confirmation that my order was on it's way and received my tracking number and I got my order as promised on Weds morning this week. Not terribly fussed about the postage cost as the price difference between the standard insured shipping and the express was only a couple bucks.

And no worries about GST there either (it was well over $1000). Might have something to do with them being a registered business in Australia as well.

I really wanted to go local but I either got NO response from local Aussie retailers I'd emailed or they were out of stock and not likely to get more in. Pathetic, really, particularly the ones who did not bother to reply to my emails. It's little wonder that folks are headed over seas to get their equipment with this kind of "service".
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast