User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Adobe PS + Lightroom cloud for $9.99 / month (33 cents a day) - yeah! (BUT!)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe PS + Lightroom cloud for $9.99 / month (33 cents a day) - yeah! (BUT!)

http://scottkelby.com/2013/adobe-ann...was-expecting/

ince Adobe announced their Creative Cloud subscription-only business model, I’ve been saying the same thing again and again — “… the deal just isn’t there for photographers yet.”Well, that all changed during the opening keynote at Photoshop World last week in Vegas when Winston Hendrickson (Adobe’s Vice President of Engineering for Digital Imaging, and a serious sports photographer himself), announced a better deal than I was ever expecting: if you have any previous version of Photoshop (all the way back to CS3), you can get the combo of both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for just $9.99 a month (as long as you take them up on the offer by Dec 31, 2013).
    Much better than I was expecting
    I had been talking with Adobe about a deal like this for photographers since they first announced the subscription-only plan, and the number I had been hearing was $19.99 for the two. I had been pulling for (and hoping) they would offer it at just $14.99 instead which I thought was a very fair price. $9.99 wasn’t even on my radar at all. When I heard, just a few days before the keynote, that they were going to offer both at $9.99 a month, I was pretty stunned. I never saw a price that low coming. That’s about 33¢ a day for Photoshop. And Lightroom. The latest versions. I know we waited a while for this deal, but at least it was worth the wait.
    Doing The Math
    To upgrade Photoshop to the latest version was usually $199. Lightroom’s yearly upgrade is around $79. That’s around $280 every 18th months to stay up to date. Now it’s just $180 over 18 months and you’re always on the latest version of both with all the latest features. Plus, you get 20GB of online storage (if you want it), and a Behance.com ProSite membership as well. The math works.
    Read more in the link
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At $9.99/month I was beginning to think this wasn't a bad deal, particularly as it actually runs on your own machine and doesn't need internet access all the time. (Currently on holidays in NT and have only just got access after periods of up to 5 days in areas with no mobile coverage).

HOWEVER, being aware of adobe's propensity for ripping Australian customers off I thought I would check their website and guess what, the moderately attractive $9.99 for yanks becomes $29.99 limited time offer for Australians.

I wonder how long they can keep up this sort of practice before the likes of google release a copy of their own (Coz they do have teams working to copy just about everything they can't actually buy) and there will be others working frantically to grab the chance as well.

I guess if I'm convinced this system works I can subscribe through eldest sons address in Chicago, but am I likely to outgrow CS6 in the foreseeable future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed : read site rule 3*
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-10-2013 at 3:04pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    HOWEVER, being aware of adobe's propensity for ripping Australian customers off I thought I would check their website and guess what, the moderately attractive $9.99 for yanks becomes $29.99 limited time offer for Australians.
    Apparently it is genuine. In my in-box the other day -

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe in an email to me
    Get Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, and more for only $9.99/month.
    Join now >> [link to an adobe.com address]

Read online >> [link to an adobe.com address]

Adobe(R) Creative Cloud(TM) Your best capture yet: Photoshop CC and Lightroom for AU$9.99/month.
    Join now > >> [link to an adobe.com address]

Introducing a special Adobe Creative Cloud plan designed exclusively for photographers. Get the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus 20GB of cloud storage, Behance ProSite for your own fully customisable professional portfolio, ongoing feature updates, and more — all for AU$9.99/month for as long as you continue your membership*. Valid for Photoshop CS3 and later customers.

Join now
    >> [link to an adobe.com address]

AU$9.99 per month. Offer ends December 31
    [Omitted, lots of fine print; nothing of consequence so far as I know.]
    The problem I have is this: I swore that I wouldn't touch software rental with a ten foot pole. Alas, I bought a new Thinkpad a little while ago and one of the main drivers of my upgrade was to get some improvement on the abysmal Photoshop performance. (On a dual core XP machine with hybrid magnetic/SSD drives and 4GB of RAM. How sad is that? Everything else ran just fine, Photoshop was the only troublseome app.) To get any benefit from this 16MB machine running 64-bit Windows 8, I needed to upgrade my Photoshop. And when I went to buy CS6, bloody Adobe had stopped selling it. CC or nothing! Ouch!

So, against my better judgement, and very much against my principles, I signed up for the $19.99 month single app Creative Cloud deal. That was in June. Now they are offering me a $9.99 deal! The thing is, what happens about the $19.99 one I already have? If they are serious about keeping the price at $9.99, I'll sign up in December (wasting the $120 still to be paid on the $19.99 deal) or, to look at it another way, paying $30 for six months so that I can pay $10 later.

All very confusing.

Why can't the buggers simply say "here it is, it costs $250"?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tannin, interesting you've got email offers. I've got CS6 and haven't heard a peep from them.

I purchased my CS6 from Amazon, then had it free shipped to a re-shipper and on sent to Aus, cost about $20 extra but as the US price is about $600 cheaper than Aus, still worked out ok.

I've just checked and Amazon has 8 copies on disk left. They do sell it for download but that doesn't apply to Aus, so you'd need a US based credit card (or Amazon gift Card) and a US download site