User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Size for a print

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size for a print

I am thinking of getting a print done of my B & W photo of the Europa in (Transport) which on the post probably hasn't come out as well as I would have liked.

When viewed in a larger size I think isn't to bad, (can be viewed on flicker by clicking on image). But how large could I possibly go.
    At this point I'm considering Between A4 & a little smaller than A3 In portrait to allow for a boarding for mounting but may consider a bit larger although I think A3 would be about as large as I would be able to go considering places it could be hung.

The image is 4288 X 2848 and 13.9 MB. The image to maintain it's clarity ans sharpness at X1 in ViewNX 2 at X1.

Input appreciated thank you.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that resolution, no problem with A3.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm, I think you should be able to manage that pretty easily. Do you have Photoshop, or some other image editor that
    gives image size details? Using Photoshop, if you open the image and click Image - Image Size, you will see a "canvas size" based on
    what Pixels per Inch your camera setting is.

Use this as a guide to the possible largest practical size you can print. For instance, given your maximum image size in pixels is 4,288 x 2,848,
    and assuming your camera setting as 180 pixels/inch, then the "largest" canvas size would be about 24 inch x 16 inch, as shown in Photoshop.

Note, this is a guide only, as "pixels per inch" does not equate to "dots per inch" as used in printing specifications.
    Am.

PS: Forgot to add: IUsing Photoshop again, if you click on "View Actual Size" you can get a pretty good idea of the image quality.

PSS: I need a goodly supply of "r"s to add to the end of "you" so that I don't have to edit to make "your".
    Last edited by ameerat42; 10-09-2013 at 10:38am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have Lightroom4 which which is waiting to be registered and waiting for my sons details as it's a student version but also have Corel photo-paint X4. Provided I'm reading correctly says 238 x 359.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??? That doesn't sound right. I'd say it is somewhere between 180 and 240 pixels per inch, so that means a fairly large "canvas size".
    Am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    The image is 4288 X 2848 ----------
    Input appreciated thank you.
    Don't get too hung up on the technicalities of it all.

The image size indicates that it hasn't been cropped.
    If saved as a 100% quality jpeg at 300 dpi output it should print fine at 20 x 30 inches if the image quality is up to scratch.
    Anything under the 20 x 30 size will then be fine as well.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your responses am inclined to think it should be OK up to A3. I have looked at a number of ViewNX & Photo-paint settings but at this point am unable to find how access the relevant information if it is available in them.

On my 23" monitor at 100% seems to be fine if that can be any guide but when and if ($'s) I proceed will supply in Raw or their prefered format to the printer any way so they will be able to advise more.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROA44,
    an A3 print = about 11.7 x 16.5 inches, in the image example posted here the R/H print measures 12 x 18 inches which is more in line with the 2:3 ratio of your camera's output. 12 x 18 inches is still larger by a bit than A3 and the L/H image measures 20 x 30 inches.

Both images were simply saved as 100% jpeg at 300 dpi and uploaded to the printer with no resizing etc.
    The photo was taken with a 10 megapickel camera which in theory sets a lower sized maximum image size than your 12 megapickle D5000.
    As I said, don't get too hung up on the technicalities, if the image is sharp and properly exposed you will not have any troubles printing it at 12 x 18 inches.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you I @ M, I know that MegaPix is only relates in a smaller way to the overall outcome of actual printing image size but haven't done anything larger than A4 so just trying to get a bit more of an idea so will look into it a bit more.

I can currently get a 20 by 30 at $33's which is probably a bit dearer but for a one off and not sure what medium to get it printed on the company will help decide. Thank you and the images look great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying $33 for a 30x20 inch is expensive.

I usually pay around $19 for it in Adelaide, and my favoured paper is Lustre type for when I do wall mounts on MDF boards.

Anyway, like some ppl have said, dont get caught up in technicalities and calculating stuff. I do a lot of large printing beyond 30x20 inch, usually at 45x30 inch. The factors which are crucial is exposure and sharpness of the photo and ISO, if you want to retain details at those large sizes. But in saying that, you do not view these large prints up close as you would on a computer screen so standing a few steps back you wouldnt notice things as much.

10MP or 12MP - can easily go out to 45x30 inch, a 30x20 inch is peanuts
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in agreeance with Jackie. Your resolution will be fine to print at that size but also as Jackie said you won't be pixelpeeping the printed image but rather viewing it from a distance. You have plenty of resolution to print as high as you require.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all, where I put it will determine the size by the looks and then what to print on paper or canvas if I try to go larger?