User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Can any horse beat Atlantic Jewel?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can any horse beat Atlantic Jewel?

Puissance de Lune?
    Would be the only horse that seems to have a chance. Race 6, no.8 in Melbourne on Saturday. An exciting horse.

And for macmich.
    A bit of value. Bulbula. Melbourne race 1, no.3
    Topical tip for election day. A Time For Julia. Melbourne race 8, no.16.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Wot's happening? Cannot post.)

Mark. Yes, a mare called Pacific Pearl.

OK, Latin mare for "sea".

(If two posts turn up I'll eat my hat!)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bite - it depends on distance. She has run 1100 to 2000m, but her only 2000m race was against 3yo fillies. Stepping up to the 2040 cox plate against serious wfa horses will be an entirely different proposition. She's only run once at moonee valley, against 3yo fillies in a non-black type race. As a 5 yo, has she got the turn of speed and agility to handle the turn at speed? If Kavanagh sticks to 1400-1600m, I think she'll keep doing well. But a longer distance? I think she's vulnerable.

If you're talking about the cox plate, I think Ethiopia has a pretty fair chance - 4th in the cox plate behind Ocean Park, All Too Hard and Pierro - none of whom are nominated.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you
    cheers macca

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    ... She's only run once at moonee valley, against 3yo fillies in a non-black type race. As a 5 yo, has she got the turn of speed and agility to handle the turn at speed? If Kavanagh sticks to 1400-1600m,....
    They are fair comments Rob and as you'd know, it's speculation 'til it's done.
    She's only had the chance to race 7 times and handled it all. I think she'll handle anything. Also one wonders if Puissance de Lune has the agility for Mooney Valley. Suspect these two will be fighting out the finish of the Cox Plate (it's the race they're setting her for). Suspect they are lengths better than Ocean Park.
    Pity All Too Hard and Pierro get retired as 3YOs. What a Cox plate it would be this year if they weren't.
    Let's hope they stay healthy. Ah, Spring carnivals are so good.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given Atlantic Jewel has never been beaten, who knows what her limit is. I still think she's untested over longer distances, and the step up from 1600m can be a big one (especially with some trainers.)

BTW, I'm no great fan of Ocean Park, but I do think he was a worthy winner. If you compare times, it seems to me that, if they were both in the Cox Plate, they'd be competitive. It's a crying shame that some of the best racehorses of recent times (e.g. Pierro, All Too Hard) have been retired to stud.

I haven't been paying enough attention recently to really have a view on the metro class horses running around at the moment (too many breeding disappointments - Anyone want to by a 2yo Statue of Liberty filly? - and we are waiting on the one decent horse we have bred to pop up again after a solid win at Cranbourne.)

But I'm still hopeful the spring will be interesting.
    Last edited by farmer_rob; 05-09-2013 at 10:12pm. Reason: wrong smiley!

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    Reason: wrong smiley!
    Made me
    Jeez, I remember your post about that Cranbourne winner. 'twas some time ago. Hopefully they are patient owners with a long term plan.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm confused - the cranbourne winner I'm talking about was 22 weeks ago (and I wasn't posting on Ausphotography at the time - although I did tweet). We did manage to breed another winner (he won first up about 2 years ago in Warrnambool, but only managed a couple of seconds after that. His career ended after 15 starts due to being a bleeder.)

Anyway, the more recent one had his second start at Cranbourne and a dominant win. He's now a 4yo, and I believe the current owners want to send him to Hong Kong, but he hasn't shown up there yet. (Their business is selling racehorses in Hong Kong - to get the, the horse needs to have won a race worth more than $15,000 and pass a series of onerous vet tests. If he fails, I'd expect to see him race successfully in Victoria. If he passes, I hope he'd race successfully in Hong Kong, but that is a big task.)

If I see him pop up, I'll be letting everyone know!

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, was some time ago.
    Some other AP member has also bred a winner then. But a quick site search can't find the thread I was referring to (and instead of searching any more I'm going to sleep. Only two more long days of electoral commission work to go and then I'll start making sense again!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the search thing too - but only really to establish that I hadn't commented a few months back. Good luck with the electoral work. - must be a busy time. (At least the election won't really impinge on the spring racing.)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you mark
    won a new flash on todays effort
    cheers macca
    Last edited by macmich; 07-09-2013 at 6:08pm.

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for making me smile macca.
    Just watched the replays after a 15 hour day and a long week helping a lot of people vote. Didn't really have a chance to figure my betting formula, so just had a quick bet.
    How frustrating. I might have a new flash also, if Puissance de Lune's nose was a little longer. mmmmm

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mark
    its my day, just won $367.50 in tattslotto
    study up for next friday
    cheers macca

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, macca's gunna buy me a new flash

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching her and waiting for the media to start trumpeting about the new Black Caviar!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||