Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
So, did the lens sometimes focus and then sometimes not focus, or something, or did it not focus or something?

There are many versions of this lens, the earliest version was what's known as an AF-D type lens, which is screw driven .... and doesn't have an internal motor for AF.
This is the earliest model and the model number is A16.
I think the second version of this lens had a model number of A016, which was specifically made after Nikon announced the motorless camera bodies, starting with the D40 and now in the D5200 range.

If you inadvertently received or ordered a non VC model of this lens, it may have been the original A16 model, which of course will not focus on a D5100.

I have the original A16 model version, and I think it's one of the best APS-C lenses made. It may feel flimsy in some ways compared to other lenses, but after 6-7 odd years of plentiful usage, mine still produces good strong images.
I can't think of any lens that beats it for value for money. Now tho, with many lenses in this range have optical stabilisation, and even tho at this lens focal length you'd think it was a wasted feature, I think it's better to have and not use it, than to not have it at all.

Saying that the price of the non VC model is still pretty darn good.
Even tho you have had the bitter experience with the lens, I still think it's worth another try.
Hey mate.
It did focus automaticaly and you could see and hear the motor working, but it would only work somtimes.
Id hold the shutter button half way down and it wouldnt do anything, if I manualy put it way out of focus somtimes it would focus.
I think I just got a dud. I cleaned the contacts as suggested on the other photo forum but that didnt work either.
I was pretty gutted to tell you the truth, And I really liked the lens.

It felt sooo much better than the kit lens, it weight heaps more which i liked as it felt tough lol
But the difference in the glass was huge, as in size wise compared to the nikon one.

I did a fair bit of reasearch and read reviews on it and also compared it to the sigma, the Tamron had a pretty good lead.
could you rekomend an online site that I can get another one?
cant get two duds lol
cheers cam