Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Not so interesting - who knows?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so interesting - who knows?

So a week ago my nephew bought a Canon SX50HS camera from a large camera store in Sydney.
    (Caveats and exemptions: he doesn't know much about cameras and 4-got to ask his uncle about a camera.)
    So with a on his face he was showing me his purchase back then. Yesterday, that big grin went south (this way )
    He was installing the S/W and at a point it asked him to connect the camera to the computer. A message said (I don't know, something like)
    "charge up the battery". He did, then put the battery back into the camera - and nothing happened. That continued to happen for the many
    times we took it out, tried to recharge it, check it was perfectly OK, and...

Well, today I rang the store. Luckily for us/him - maybe not so for others - they said that since it was less than 2 weeks since the purchase,
    they would do a complete swap for a new and identical one. So what if it had happened after 15 days? The camera is obviously faulty. He has taken about 50 pics
    with it.

And here's a point: they sold him an 16GB SDHC (non-Sandisk) card for about $50. I bought him a 2nd card - Sandisk SDHC card - for $22 dollars. Y, I Rsk?
    The camera does not write at super dooper speeds. The card does not appear to be super-dooper. Well, the store will have to answer me that tomorrow.
    Unfortunately, he has ~50 images on the card, so it has been used, but I hope to get an answer. So might the store from me.

What makes it irksome is that he's due to go abroad in 2 weeks AND I had ordered and paid for a 2nd battery for that camera - almost $50. Talk of "sinking funds"! As a
    stopgap, I am lending him another P+S camera, just in case he runs into trouble while away.

Oh well...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once he realises how much fun it is to take photos of everything (just so he doesn't forget where he went) he may need two cards anyway.
    Last edited by Mark L; 02-09-2013 at 10:22pm. Reason: this zpellin thing agin

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it is the camera? Could be the battery, if it kept saying the battery needed to be charged. Which could also explain issues with reading/writing to the card if the battery is not a happy little bundle of energy.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:
    I went to the store today and they tried another battery in his camera - not did work. Tried his battery in the (about to become replacement) camera - POWER!

So they swapped the camera and the warranty card, but not the box. I took a shot in the store. All seemed OK and I left. Later I picked up the new, 2nd battery.

The storeperson certainly blamed the camera and not the battery. Oh, and I had checked the battery - it showed fully charged.

Well, he/I/and the store were all in good cheer, and they also provided a duplicate sales docket for duty-free-reclaim-at-airport purposes. ~$50 back.

Me: nephew: