User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Technology can make a difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technology can make a difference

So for those who have wondered about the difference a monitor can make I can say now from my own experience YES IT CAN make a lot of difference.

I have had thoughts as to whether to keep persevering with photography due to struggling to work out if it was me or my equipment but considering me more than my gear.

Until now I have only had access to second hand CRT then various LCD monitors and when reviewing my photos I have not been very satisfied with the results even after basic processing, hence the lack of images posted.

Today I have just purchased my first new monitor and although still a cheap model compared to what is available, the difference from my own perspective is that it was worth it to the extent that it has given me a glimmer of hope and possibly more.
    The model I purchased was an LG IPS LED 23EA53 at $183's and the photos I was getting ready to delete have just been save from the delete button although not all as some are multiples of the same thing when trying so some will be kept.

The difference in clarity and sharpness even before being processed to the extent that some could almost be printed with out sharpening (almost) and the cable I'm using is only a VGA or D-sub so not sure how much a DVI or HDMI cable will make. I am also only running a cheap 256Mg card, but that will have to wait for now.
    Needless to say I am more than happy with the lower price end of this type of monitor and can't wait to get started learning to process my images with a lot more enthusiasm.

So if your holding out to make the upgrade because of not knowing if it is worth it and you have the $'s to spare then from my perspective I believe it is and hope this helps toward you being able to make that decision a bit easier.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh.. Yes... Photography is just like a wife (Or Husband) You have to keep spending money on it, to keep the passion alive.
    Next will be the higher end graphics card. Then the calibration doo dad. Then the second monitor so you can see the before and after. Then the better lenses, Better camera. Then an update of software... and so on.. and so on..
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A graphics card won't make all that much difference to your photography reviewing experience.

A few years ago I had to downgrade my 'graphics card' from a dedicated graphics card(late model nVidia card) to the onboard graphics chip on the motherboard.

No difference in how photos display on the screen whatsoever.

The cable may make a difference to your screen, but not in terms of quality of display, but more so in terms of features and resolution.
    I remember early on, I didn't initially have a HDMI cable at hand, and used a DVI cable to connect the screen, but that same day I puchased a HDMI cable and some new features popped up on the screen's menu system.

The calibration doodad is important tho! Nothing beats a calibrated screen .. even if the calibration isn't 100% accurate. 99.9% accuracy is still just as good(to the human eye).

It's almost 100% guaranteed that your screen right out of the box is not calibrated good enough .. most likely something like 90% within what it should be. So your next step will be to acquire one of these calibration doodads.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info regarding extra features but still a couple of adjustments with set up to be done but that will have to wait a day or so.

The new card will be more for uniform connectivity and and possibly for a third monitor, as for calibration that may require a visit from someone who lives nearby or through the club.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The IPS monitor is a huge step forward, and yes you can borrow my calibrator
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Kym but it will be accompanied with supplying you with lunch, for tea or coffee very soon.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're making me feel so inadequate downing all this photography stuff on a 3 year old laptop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted to try looking at the photos on the profession radiology reporting stations on full resolution. These monitors have way better contrast and resolution compared to our standard monitors (and can cost 10x more). I wonder will it still look fuzzy when I view a 8megapixel photo on a 8megapixel screen in a 1:1 fashion