User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Have you tried Locking up the mirror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried Locking up the mirror

Well due to family issues haven't had much of a chance to get out and try anything except yesterday down at the port to try to get some shots of the Tall Ships that came in. But the weather was dull and not real happy with shots more my lack of knowledge and ability than any thing else but will try to post some soon.

My next have you tried is locking up the mirror.

I have a Nikon D5000 but not had much luck but probably me so if you haven't tried well I'm going to try reading up on it a bit more to try to get a handle on the process over the next week.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are locking up the mirror to take a long shutter speed photo is really only of benefit if you are on a stable tripod. It is also best to use a remote release to also minimise camera shake when you press the shutter for the second time to release the shutter.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the D5000 has mirror lock-up? The mirror lock-up for shooting is available on the high end Nikons. They all have the Mirror lock-up for cleaning, but you cannot use this for shooting. Check your manual to see if this feature is available on the D5000.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    Are you sure the D5000 has mirror lock-up? The mirror lock-up for shooting is available on the high end Nikons. They all have the Mirror lock-up for cleaning, but you cannot use this for shooting. Check your manual to see if this feature is available on the D5000.
    Good point. I had forgotton that it is only on the higher end Nikon cameras.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad luck! Looks like the only fun you can have with the mirror up is to clean the sensor
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well that stops me on commenting as well
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For any photos I take using a tripod ,I'll use live view, which means mirror is locked up.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dito for me also in that case. I was aware of it for longer exposure times but wasn't certain of availability on in my case the D5000.

I had tried the lock up for cleaning but at the time it didn't seem right so In my case it's a no go area. But if you have a camera that does allow then you are probably already using it.

Unfortunately I didn't get time to add more into the original post as I was needing to leave so it was a rushed effort so if it sounded a bit vague or half put together that's the reason so so apologies for a lack of thought before posting.

I was also going to add to this weeks, Exposure Compensation which I haven't tried and only briefly looked at so that's one which I probably need to look at. So will try to get another shot of the Tall Ships tomorrow morning and give some of these a bit more of a try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long exposure is reasonably simple... Set camera on tripod. Set timer to "on". Place camera into Manual. Set Aperture & ISO. Push the info button. Adjust shutter speed while watching the exposure meter. When expose is in the middle, take the shot. If it comes out too light, lengthen the shutter speed. If it comes out too dark, shorten the shutter speed.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have tried a few times and now have a variable ND so just trying to find the time to get out and try and will have to find out at what point mirror movement becomes an issue with the lenses I have unfortunately time is my problem.

I do want to get a remote trigger but haven't researched enough to decide how little to spend for the trigger but still allow for expansion of a lighting system later or if they communicate with other brands but I have a long way to go before going that far but maintaining flexibility is one thing I keep in mind.