User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16

Thread: Site outages : New server

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Site outages : New server

As you would be aware we are having ongoing issues with the Ausphotography server. Yesterday afternoon we turned off a heap of the site features (behind the scenes stuff mostly), including our anti-spam measures, firewall, caching, bot access (search engine scanners) and more. Basically to reduce the load to the server to see if we were causing the load and crash of the server. The site continues to go down. When it goes down, we have no access to the server except via the top-level access, which is where we can perform server reboots etc. We have no access to the site as such.

The hosting company have not been able to pinpoint what the underlying cause is, however they advise that just prior to crashing, the server undergoes a huge spike in load. Even in the middle of the night (Aust time) when our traffic is very low as there are but a handful of members online the server peaks out and crashes. This has continued since Saturday even with blocking of some countries access, removing server intensive operations, removing caching for speed of access for members. There have been no major changes to the site or server since Friday, when the server was working just fine. We had not added new software, upgraded anything, or changed anything that would have seen the site go from stable one day to unstable the next.

With all this in mind, the hosting company have offered to create a whole new server for us. We have said yes. Therefore whilst these outages may continue at present, we are working on relocating the entire site to a new server. We will keep you informed and hope to have the site moved as soon as possible.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-08-2013 at 6:38am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the updates Rick and good luck with the migration to the new server. I understand how frustrating this must be at your end and also appreciate all the behind the scenes work you and the team have been putting in.

Cheers

Dennis

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our plan is to move the site tomorrow. In the meantime the current server is unstable, for this we again apologise.

I bet everyone is looking forward to the new server as much as we are.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At present I am rebooting the site about every 30 minutes. When I head to bed tonight there is a good chance the site will go down and remain down all night. Tomorrow will see us on the new server so we should see all this behind us.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight has been worse than any other time.
    I know how to take a photo, and have no idea how to run a w.w.w. site.
    Makes you wonder how all this can start to happen. I probably wouldn't understand the explanation if you found one.
    Good luck Rick and Kym.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Tonight has been worse than any other time.
    I know how to take a photo, and have no idea how to run a w.w.w. site.
    Makes you wonder how all this can start to happen. I probably wouldn't understand the explanation if you found one.
    Good luck Rick and Kym.
    Yep. I have been rebooting the server constantly tonight. However we have also be working at trying to find the cause and block it. We have made some more changes, blocked a few countries, and some specific IP's. We have re-enabled some anti-spam measures etc and monitoring in the last few minutes suggests we may finally be on top of it. However, Kym and I are discussing going ahead with the move to the new server as it gives us a new IP address, new hardware etc and a fresh start without the need to be constantly trying to stay one step ahead of why the server suddenly experiences a huge load.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have finally managed to block out the main cause. The site has now been up for 8 hours. However we are going to proceed with the move to the new server as the work we have had to do to effect this stability means the site services are impacted (anti-spam, speed of the site, etc).

The site will be moving to the new server TODAY