Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Outages today : Sun 25th Aug / Mon 26th Aug/ Tues 27th Aug 2013

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Site Outages today : Sun 25th Aug / Mon 26th Aug/ Tues 27th Aug 2013

Apologies for the site outages today. We are investigating this further, but basically when the site goes down it locks me out of everything as well. Eventually I can get into the control panel and reset the server and the site comes back up with the server reboot.

We are possibly experiencing a Distributed Denial of Service, and we have asked the hosting company to look into these outages further.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The site outages continue. We have asked the hosting company to investigate further. Access to the server tells us the server is running and online, but at the same time access to the site is not available. Rebooting the server fixes the issue, but we want the hosting company to investigate why this keeps happening every few hours since this morning.

Our apologies
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2013 at 6:47am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that you have anything to apologise for Rick. Ausphotography is a credit to you.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What AGB said!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The site went down at 11.38pm AEST and when I got up this morning I left it down and contacted the hosting company. They brought the site back online a few moments ago.

Below is the latest communication with them:

Hello,

We have resolved your issue now its working fine from our side. Please check from your side.

Please let us know, If you have any further assistance.

Scott

Level2 Engineer

We hope that the site will remain online now, but if it does go down again, be assured we are working hard behind the scenes trying to resolve this permanently. But please bear with us if the site continues to go offline. We will find the reason and solution...eventually (soon) .
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2013 at 6:48am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you just love the level of support you get some some hosting services? The responses I normally get are, "we've just checked and it is working okay". No kidding? You just fixed it.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was one of many messages.
    We get pretty good response from PhotonVPS but as time moves they switch tech staff (it's a 24/7 service).

The underlying cause was another customer on the VM (XEN Virtual Machine) cluster.
    We have had very good system availability from PhotonVPS, often months without an issue at their end.

This one being the w/end (comps) was more noticeable.
    Last edited by Kym; 26-08-2013 at 12:39pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That' s strange that the site went down at 11.38pm, here it was earlier I got on line after dinner around 8.15 pm clicked on this weeks weekly challenge typed a reply to Mark's image tried to submit it and that was the end of AP till 11pm, I tried many times on FF I even tried IE .. Managed to post my weekly challenge just after 11pm then turned the computer off as I find the Site is very slow after Mid-night especially of a Week-end, understandable though.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    That' s strange that the site went down at 11.38pm, here it was earlier I got on line after dinner around 8.15 pm clicked on this weeks weekly challenge typed a reply to Mark's image tried to submit it and that was the end of AP till 11pm, I tried many times on FF I even tried IE .. Managed to post my weekly challenge just after 11pm then turned the computer off as I find the Site is very slow after Mid-night especially of a Week-end, understandable though.
    it was down around 8.00 as well, before that it was down about 6.00pm, 4.3pm...It went down about 8-9 times all up.

after midnight we run site backups etc, every night so that will slow it down overnight
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2013 at 1:46pm.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You ... Just got on again Rick its been off since 1.50pm here..

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I find the Site is very slow after Mid-night especially of a Week-end, understandable though.
    The full system backup runs around 12:30am ACST for a while.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are still having issues. We've blocked all of China via our firewall due to some serious indications of a problem being caused by hack attempts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im not happy about the site issues and i want a free puppy, or popcorn, or even a kinder surprise, nah its ok i moved on, love your work guys, p.s do you think china, as a nation and a people, are just a little poorer not seeing our latest posts, not the nasty hacker people, the ones who really like bird photos, and pictures of sandy beaches and rolling waves, and our puppies, omg i want a free puppy
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff happens. This has been a rare hiccup.
    In the last coupla days while things were off and on again, went and checked a couple of other Oz forums (even posted on one). Just confirmed why I like AP.
    Was just getting into an extended comment tonight and we had a major electrical blackout in our area. Stuff happens. Took the time to go back and continue to delete some of my previous, useless photos.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of work was done overnight -- however we are still not confident that the root cause has been resolved

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks this is what I saw this morning when the site was down it might be fine but a couple of things made me think it was a little wierd.

1) ausphotography.net has been registerd by Rick via godaddy
    2) It appears that the hosting is done psychz.net but the reverse entry pointer does not give me any real info other than a psychz.com which appears to be registered in Walnut CA (USA)

If these are correct then it appears to be something on board the server if this is not correct it could well be a case of DNS cache poisoning where your DNS records are hijacked to point elsewhere
    the action of rebooting will refresh the cache and work until it gets poisoned again.. The similar things can happen if the IP Address is compromised. I can't rule out a DOS attack.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livio View Post
    Hi Folks this is what I saw this morning when the site was down it might be fine but a couple of things made me think it was a little wierd.
    1) ausphotography.net has been registerd by Rick via godaddy
    2) It appears that the hosting is done psychz.net but the reverse entry pointer does not give me any real info other than a psychz.com which appears to be registered in Walnut CA (USA)
    If these are correct then it appears to be something on board the server if this is not correct it could well be a case of DNS cache poisoning where your DNS records are hijacked to point elsewhere
    the action of rebooting will refresh the cache and work until it gets poisoned again.. The similar things can happen if the IP Address is compromised. I can't rule out a DOS attack.
    Kind Regards
    Livio
    1. The site redirects ausphotography.net -> ausphotography.net.au
    -- you're correct that the .net version is with a different registrar (PlanetDomain for the .net.au)

2. psychz.net is where the IP address assigned to the server is done.
    The VM host is actually photonvps 108.171.241.171

These setting are correct and have not changed

I like your thinking, it validates what we have been thinking as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the site down again just a little while ago ? Wondering if it's at my end - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we went down again. I'm changing some settings to see what effect they have

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hope we find out soon the reason why this is happening. It seems to have happened all of a sudden. Which points out to be some kind of attack.
    Went to go on at 5:15 this morning, and it was down then. Missed my morning fix, so have been towy all day. Glad it is running now though.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast