South Australia: 26° (NT border) to 38° (southern-most point), meaning that its centre is at almost exactly 31°. Burra - a representative point in the "mid-north" - is at 33°40' or 33.667 (decimal) degrees south. This point in the "mid-north", then, is not just in the south of South Australia, it is very nearly 300 kilometres south of the mid-point!

But what does this have to do with crop factors? Well, quite a lot actually, insofar as we can have lots and lots of fun arguing about the correct way to consider the details and write them down exactly so, and (in general) achieve absolutely nothing of any practical use in doing so. If you are going to be any good at your craft you need to learn the basics correctly, but that said, in practical reality it is often easier to ignore the fact that the popular usage is completely wrong. I too call Burra the "mid-north" even though I know it isn't, and we all call Cobar the "far-west" of New South Wales even though it's not even west, never mind far! And we all know that translating focal lengths into "35mm equivalents" is often as misleading as it is helpful, but we generally just go along with the silly common convention because it's easier not to argue. Besides, I'd much rather be wrong about a focal length and have to change lenses than be wrong about my geography and have to walk 300 kilometres to find an open servo!