User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Model Shooting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Model Shooting

Besides the obvious always focusing on the eyes what else is there to know to get that amazing shot ?

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the batteries are charged?
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the location, the model, the pose, the composition, the styling, the lighting, the photographer, the gear, the photographers editing skills
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what Rick said. It's not a matter of just standing someone in a location - there are many factors that come into the equation. There are certain rules for posing, composition wise you need to make sure there are no other distracting elements and good clean backgrounds, appropriate clothing to fit the style of shoot, the length of lenses that are used. Most importantly it's about the light and your vision as a photographer as to what you want to capture in a shoot - all of the above elements come into play to make that vision successful.
    ABOVE ALL - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and lots of research!
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that for good people shots you have to establish some connection with the person first - or at least during the shoot to get the best out of them. Marching someone up to a window and saying smile is not generally going to elicit the best shot or atmosphere. I think even talking to people while shooting is often enough to have them relax and go with it - particularly if they are not used to the camera or is a professional model. I also use the trick of showing them photos while shooting so that they can see what results I am getting. :-)
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all for the indepth response. rictas Just wondering in regards to editing what are the key areas are they the face of the subject or more just touch up where needed. And NikonNellie i will most defiantly practice as much as possible, probably one of the quickest ways to learn.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-08-2013 at 7:07pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DANSimage View Post
    thank you all for the indepth response. rictas Just wondering in regards to editing what are the key areas are they the face of the subject or more just touch up where needed. And NikonNellie i will most defiantly practice as much as possible, probably one of the quickest ways to learn.
    Learning to edit well is a skill in itself and to be a good editor is going to take several months; learning to be a great editor can take years. It also depends on what you are hoping to achieve from the shoot. A bikini model can do well with the glamour look, smoothed skin etc, whereas an elderly model might do better with some slight blurring selectively, but then these two things do not generally work that well on male models. So you need to learn and practice a whole range of editing techniques and then apply them selectively to each image as needed.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-08-2013 at 7:12pm.