Thread: Black rapid straps and tripod mounts

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black rapid straps and tripod mounts

Hi All,

I normally use the stock standard straps given by manufacturers of the camera. But those straps aren't too comfortable, especially if u go walkaround for extended periods. So I got myself a BR strap.

I am currently using a L plate on my camera body, but if I want to use the BR strap, I will have to take the L plate off in order to secure the BR screw on.

Does that mean each time I want to mount the camera on tripod, I have to take the strap off and then screw the L plate back on?

What are people's experiences with BR straps and tripod mounts?
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey arnica,

I use a BR RS7, always found it great except if walking long distances as it tends to move around a bit. I recently got the BRAD mod to help with this but haven't used it in anger yet; seems like it will do the job.

My tripod plate (non-L type) has a ring on the bottom that kinda folds away, so the few times I have used the plate + BR I have secured the self-closing hook straight to that ring and haven't had issues; but I have only done this a couple of times.

Thanks,

Kieren

All lines lead to Home ...
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadnium View Post
    Hey arnica,

I use a BR RS7, always found it great except if walking long distances as it tends to move around a bit. I recently got the BRAD mod to help with this but haven't used it in anger yet; seems like it will do the job.

My tripod plate (non-L type) has a ring on the bottom that kinda folds away, so the few times I have used the plate + BR I have secured the self-closing hook straight to that ring and haven't had issues; but I have only done this a couple of times.

Thanks,

Kieren
    Thanks Kieren,

Yeah, I'm thinking I may need to carry the L plate with me, no biggie.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not attach an adapter to the black rapid and leave the l-plate on permanently. That's what I've done on mine. You can also do a google image search for black rapid arca swiss and you'll find plenty of examples.

Here are some pictures if what I said doesn't make sense. Excuse the picture quality, all I had was a little Sony TX10. This one shows my 70-200 attached so the black rapid adapter is attaching to the lens but the body is the same. The extra red strap is a climbing strap I attached just in case the arca swiss adapter failed.

Last edited by MissionMan; 21-08-2013 at 3:51am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the idea of that climbing strap and hook. I use the black rapid sports for most of my outdoor shoots and do get a bit nervous with my 70-200 attached and tend to keep one hand on the camera all the time just in case - this would be good for my piece of mind
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixley View Post
    I really like the idea of that climbing strap and hook. I use the black rapid sports for most of my outdoor shoots and do get a bit nervous with my 70-200 attached and tend to keep one hand on the camera all the time just in case - this would be good for my piece of mind
    The straps are expensive but worth it for the risk. I think the mini straps have a breaking strain of about 400kg's so the camera may be safe. The little carabiner only has a breaking strain of 80kg's but I don't think that will be a problem until they release a 800mm f/2.8
    Last edited by MissionMan; 21-08-2013 at 10:28am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black rapid make a fastener for tripod plates. I've never used it but I thought about getting one.
    http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

I like the extra strap idea though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most L plates are arca swiss so you don't actually need the extra piece as this is only required for the manfrotto style plates.

I ordered one of these arca swiss clamps from ebay and then attached the black rapid to the bottom using the standard Fastener screw that came with the blackrapid strap. i.e. I didn't need to purchase anything additional from black rapid. Oddly enough, I did purchase the manfrotto screw but it is still sitting at home unused at this point and it was a waste of the $20 I spent on it (not because there is anything wrong with it, but simply because I didn't need it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARCA-fit...E:L:OC:AU:3160

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say that I have the luma version of the sliding strap and it has a loop attachment that you could securely attach to the L plate and leave on, which is what I do. Further research and I discovered that this excellent strap had been killed off by a patent action by BlackRapid
    http://petapixel.com/2011/11/15/luma...o-black-rapid/
    I realise this isn't contributing much, just wanted to register my surprise...

Funny how similar straps like C loop and Sunsniper are still around, perhaps they had more money to fight Mr BlackRapid....
    Last edited by coolie21; 23-08-2013 at 9:03am.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs