Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back button focusing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M
    h your AF selection button and rotate the front command dial until "auto" shows.
    I have told a lie. I have used it... But never thought of it as AF-A. In "Movie" mode on the D800, it is amazing. It follows the subject perfectly. Now I must try it for stills.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use it all the time.

For me it seems like my thumb just falls naturally on the back button.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to take a photo Saturday and thought why on earth won't it focus, then remembered I'd reset it to back button. Guess that could happen a couple of times before it becomes automatic to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to take a photo Saturday and thought why on earth won't it focus, then remembered I'd reset it to back button. Guess that could happen a couple of times before it becomes automatic to me.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this thread in the email newsletter. I have often chose to shoot manual focus to avoid the refocusing that happens with the shutter/focus option. Completely forgot about the back focus button. Time to go set it up and try it out again.
    Always have been, and always will be a Canon man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my Fuji x100 I use back button because shutter focus is horrible most times but with my d700 shutter focus is awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knew it existed, but generally use MF - just got used to it on my old Pentax K100D - Will have to look up manual for new K30 and give it the back button a try
    Pentax K30| Pentax 18-250 1:3.5-6.3 zoom| Pentax 50mm 1:1.4 prime| Panasonic V-700 Camcorder| GoPro Hero 4
    My world travel photos

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well since I started this thread I've been using it.
    Took very little to get used to and seems sensible to have the thump focusing and a finger only pressing the shutter button.
    Think it was AK pointed out the benefit of not having to turn auto focus off on the lens when using a tripod and static subject (which I do nearly every week in this years members challenge). So much easier to use back button and focus is set. Camera doesn't want to refocus when I hit the shutter button or remote release.

Also found it good with moving subjects. Lost track of how many times I've been tracking something with finger half pressing shutter button, it's gets a little tired and just pushes that bit extra when I don't want. More deletes. Thumb pressed on back focus button helps make it simpler to decide when to take the photo. Example ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...BIF-Nearly-but

Thanks to all that contributed to an informative thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I did that at the zoo. Spent about half an hour manually focussing thinking my AF motor had died before I remembered :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been shooting this way since I discovered the function a couple of years ago. I too have very large hand, and am a left eyed shooter who wears glasses (got the trifecta!) I find using the AF button so much more positive and controllable

I also shoot in Af-C most of the time, so I can use the back button, hold it in and let the camera track a subject. Much easier than the shutter release.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great concept and feature built into modern cameras I've tried it a couple time before, but found that the button is in an awkward spot to get my thumb to if I need to shoot quickly.

I was thinking the other night after coming across this: the user definable function button on the front of the camera might be good too. Just picked the D600 up and found that it fell straight to my middle finger. Perfect ergonomically. Just checked the menus, and it can be set to AE/AF lock, AE lock only, AE lock (hold), AF lock only, or AF-ON, same as the button on the back. I'm going to give it a try

Might be useful for others too?

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Ms Monny;1171167]Well, report me to the RSPCA then!!!!

I have tried to use the back button focus but I just can't get a grip on it. It feels awkward.

Perhaps a Nikon with their AF button, works great and its in the right spot

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use the back button focus when photographing in manual mode and using my tripod, which is 99% of the time. If I am just walking around and taking snapshots I would use the shutter release button to focus. It really depends on what type of photography you are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I dont know what it is or where to find it , Push the shutter button down half way to focus , Take the shot
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started using it a few months and wouldn't look back - it makes things so easy!
    See more at www.annpinnockphotography.com.au
    Sony A7R, Zeiss FE55 1.8, Zeiss FE16-35mm 4.0, Sony 28-70mm, Metabones Nikon convertor, Nikkor ED 70-300mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tripod, Lee Seven5 Filters, PS, LR,

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep an old thread, but there's so many many people that have joined AP since it was started.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Yep an old thread, but there's so many many people that have joined AP since it was started.
    I've been using it ever since you hinted/suggested it at the "Magnificent Mini Mudgee Meet-up" (Phew!) I'm also now using the exposure lock right next to it. (On a Canon)
    For me it's making life a little quicker and easier ....

My process:
    1. Walk for 7 - 8 k's to locate suitable subject
    2. Fumble madly for the camera
    3. Point the right end in the general direction
    4. Rough zoom and compose (Very rough)
    5. Set focus on desired point and release
    6. Lock exposure where I think best (Using 'Spot metering')
    7. Re-compose
    8. Fire off a round or 2 .....

Who said Males can't multitask?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I've been using it ever since you hinted/suggested it at the "Magnificent Mini Mudgee Meet-up" (Phew!) I'm also now using the exposure lock right next to it. (On a Canon)
    For me it's making life a little quicker and easier ....

My process:
    1. Walk for 7 - 8 k's to locate suitable subject
    2. Fumble madly for the camera
    3. Point the right end in the general direction
    4. Rough zoom and compose (Very rough)
    5. Set focus on desired point and release
    6. Lock exposure where I think best (Using 'Spot metering')
    7. Re-compose
    8. Fire off a round or 2 .....

Who said Males can't multitask?

Pretty much my MO these days....xcept I'm a girl so it's easier for me

I didn' t like the half press at all, and on the K3 the AF button is positioned really well (thumb on it, forefinger on shutter release).
    Pentax K-1, K-3 and some lovely, mostly Pentax, mostly prime lenses - DFA 15-30, 24-70, and 100 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd, DA* 200 & 50-135, DA 12-24, 20-40 (ltd), 15, 21, 35 (Ltd) Macro, 40, 50, plus a couple of manuals from way back and a few others for good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only started using it recently and then thought , OMG why didn't I use this when Marianne and I were shooting weddings lol!
    I use it all the time to photograph the kids and moving subjects
    Handy for handheld panos and exposure blends once you've found the focal point it's just shutter all the way without having worry about playing with AF points or without having to focus and then switch to MF
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use it now all the time. Since I discovered it 2 years ago I haven't changed it on my dslr. It is great for static subjects and for moving subjects it is a breeze to just keep it held down. I think for wildlife it is a life changer. Unfortunately my mirrorless is a little hampered in that department so I still use half press of the shutter there most of the time.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ well channeL7, that was your 7th post to AP. That will never happen again.
    Happy BFBing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123