Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: A couple of questions relating to tripods

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of questions relating to tripods

I do worry a bit about wear and tear on the screw thread in the bottom of the camera while placing the camera on tripods and monopods. Is the screw thread in the bottom of the camera replaceable if I happen to damage it. When I look into the hole in the bottom of the camera, I see the head of a small screw, so I am thinking it might be.

Also, on the quick release type tripods, I see a small spring loaded button next to the mounting screw, on the removeable piece that goes into the camera. What is it for?
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do worry a bit about wear and tear on the screw thread in the bottom of the camera while placing the camera on tripods and monopods. Is the screw thread in the bottom of the camera replaceable if I happen to damage it. When I look into the hole in the bottom of the camera, I see the head of a small screw, so I am thinking it might be.
    I would not worry about it too much as long as you follow a few simple practices.
    It has never happened to me in many years of photography to damage a thread.
    I did read a thread once where someone did on a Canon 1Ds, but he said the thread was aluminum (more likely magnesium with the thread direct into the body shell) most I have seen look more like a stainless insert, which is very hard and difficult to damage.

The most likely way you would strip a thread is to not turn the tripod screw far enough into the camera, so that only the first few threads are doing all the work.
    I do mine up all the way in, then back it off a part turn before doing up the locking wheel.

The screw should go in with finger tip ease, if it is hard work all the way you may have started the thread wrong and you run the risk of cross threading if you force it.
    Any resistance, stop, undo and start again making sure the camera is parallel to the top plate. Let the ease that the thread goes in be a guide as to if you are holding the camera at the right angle.

It sounds a bit involved when explained like this but you so get a feel for when it going as it should.
    Also, on the quick release type tripods, I see a small spring loaded button next to the mounting screw, on the removeable piece that goes into the camera. What is it for?
    You are probably describing the release button for a pin that holds the camera mounting plate in place on the tripod should it come loose or accidentally not get tightened to the tripod.
    Last edited by Dug; 18-08-2013 at 1:13pm.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of damage, such as when screwing my monopod into the camera. Even though it is light, that's a lot of leverage. I always take care to keep it vertical, and try to take the weight off when unscrewing and it is on the last turn or so.

That button does not appear to release/secure the mounting plate. You can remove the mounting plate from the tripod without pressing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm !! Just leave the quick release plate on the camera , All the time if just using the Tripod, If, You have to remove it for using a Monopod , Line it up vertically and make sure you dont cross thread it , Simple , Never had a problem
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters