User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Google WebP support? Replace JPEG, GIF and PNG

  1. #1
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,640
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Google WebP support? Replace JPEG, GIF and PNG

    Photographers and webmasters: get ready to say goodbye to png, jpeg and gif?


    Google officially introduces the webp image format.


    ▶ Faster, smaller and more beautiful web with WebP.....




    ▶ Faster, smaller and more beautiful web with WebP.....

    https://docs.google.com/presentation...t#slide=id.p19

    Early days but bandwidth savings = faster web pages. Its has both lossy and loss-less capability (MUCH better than JPEG).
    It is open licensed so no IP issues and is a great step forward.
    Last edited by Kym; 17-08-2013 at 10:58am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff



  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    06 Jul 2013
    Location
    Battery Point, Hobart
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll rely on you to keep us informed, Kym. It's a bit nerdy for the technologically challenged, but get the drift of where it's heading. Thanks for the heads up - it's amazing what you pick up when you become aware of something, even at the margins.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    06 Feb 2011
    Location
    Maslin Beach
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I am not that computer savvy especially when it comes to this sort of stuff. So, for the average jo-blow what exactly does this mean and how will it affect Mr Average-Jo Blow???
    Am I right in interpreting this to mean that if I wanted to put something in an email, or on Facebook, or in an advert on Evilbay or Gumpmee that I would have to alter the photo to another format, which I would either need a program for to convert it, or my computer program would have that facility and capability of converting it, before putting it onto one of these types of sites??

  4. #4
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,412
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie girl View Post
    Ok, so I am not that computer savvy especially when it comes to this sort of stuff. So, for the average jo-blow what exactly does this mean and how will it affect Mr Average-Jo Blow???
    Am I right in interpreting this to mean that if I wanted to put something in an email, or on Facebook, or in an advert on Evilbay or Gumpmee that I would have to alter the photo to another format, which I would either need a program for to convert it, or my computer program would have that facility and capability of converting it, before putting it onto one of these types of sites??
    You will find the existing file formats are going to be around for quite a few more years. WebP is just attempting to standardise it. If it does take off, then once all the editing software packages get it as a 'file save as' option, it will be no more complex than saying a JPG is now. I wonder if the mobile phone market segment might not be the first to do so, especially as Google own Android, it would be easy for them to replace the standard JPG capture with WebP in an upcoming release of Android version update.

    But for now, you do not have to change anything at all. JPG still works, as do all the other formats already in existence.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  5. #5
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,640
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of WebP as a new improved JPEG, smaller and yet better featured.
    I'd think in 5+ years you will use WebP instead of JPEG.
    JPEG will still work, but WebP is better.

    Given Google making the IP free and backing it I would expect a quick take up.
    The latest Corel Draw has WebP support.
    I'd imagine Lightroom and Adobe CC to catch up quickly.

  6. #6
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jun 2006
    Location
    the worst house, in the best street
    Posts
    7,899
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    .....

    Given Google making the IP free and backing it I would expect a quick take up.
    The latest Corel Draw has WebP support.
    I'd imagine Lightroom and Adobe CC to catch up quickly.
    This is the key for it to succeed.
    A broad takeup of the technology across all image editing/creating software.
    Because the IP is open and free, there's no excuse for it not to be implemented.
    (I just hope that my preferred software does)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC


  7. #7
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,412
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    VBulletin are already discussing implementation of it into the software (which runs AP)

  8. #8
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,897
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    (I just hope that my preferred software does)
    Arthur, of course they will embrace it ---- around 2050.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  9. #9
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,640
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    This is the key for it to succeed.
    A broad takeup of the technology across all image editing/creating software.
    Because the IP is open and free, there's no excuse for it not to be implemented.
    (I just hope that my preferred software does)
    Several fronts are needed.
    1. Browser support
    2. Image edit/manipulation software (Photoshop et. al.)
    3. Camera support
    4. Print (i.e. Fuji photolabs etc.) support
    5. Web sites to deliver graphics using it

    So I think quick take up means ~5 years

    The big plus is the loss-less option - which solves the JPEG quality issue for 8 bit formats

    Does this mean we would stop shooting raw? No! But when we don't need to shoot raw WebP is a good alternate in a smaller format.

  10. #10
    It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Kym's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jun 2008
    Location
    Modbury, Adelaide
    Posts
    9,640
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    VBulletin are already discussing implementation of it into the software (which runs AP)
    We know why they are -- we raised it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •