User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13

Thread: Photo of the Week/ Weekly Member Challenges 52/2013

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo of the Week/ Weekly Member Challenges 52/2013

More opinion needed. Does having both a Photo of the Week and the 52/2013 with themes, dilute the Photo of the Week?

We have two themes running concurrently each week this year, do you feel that by having them both (with the same schedule of weekly) we are getting members who contribute to one or the other, but not both? Should we look at a different formula in 2014 for the member challenges such that they are completely different schedules to any of our competitions?
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-08-2013 at 9:24am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself love the weekly challenge.. Please keep it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossjanie/

Jane Living is Loving.. Loving is Living

Canon 5D111 - Several Canon Lens

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko View Post
    I myself love the weekly challenge.. Please keep it.
    The challenge will continue in 2014, but maybe not weekly, and maybe not with themes like it does now. Jane, why do your love the challenge but not enter the comps very often? If we did not have a challenge that was weekly, but in another format, would you enter the weekly comps instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a new member I like the challenges with a theme as it gets me thinking and focused on trying something. And I'll happily submit photos to a challenge ust to have a go, where as I would not enter a photo in an open comp as my pics would do nothing for the overall quality of the comp. But I love looking at the entries.

I've tried to take a few photos for the 'subtraction' theme and if it was a challenge I would have submitted them already but seeing as it's an actual comp I probably won't seeing as the photos really aren't any good.

I think the two threads serve totally different purposes.
    Chelle.
    I've had my camera on AUTO for far too long... learning the ropes on my Sony A300.
    C&C welcome - but keep it simple!
    I'm more interested in capturing memories than in taking the best photo ever (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Chelle enjoy the weekly theme, they make you think and take the photo. As for the comps. I will enter if I can come up with a photo suited for its theme, but I find them hard I like plain and simply themes lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at the number of entries to POTW etc and feel that the declining number is real shame. I hope this trend rectifies itself Rick. I`m not sure how more people can be encouraged to contribute on a consistent basis. I think you may be correct in your assumption that the 52/2013 and POTW have a diluting effect overall. . Hope the POTW gets stronger once again.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weekly challenge .... Its a great forum for learning and getting to know & connect with other APer's. I have found this years much better than last. It got very difficult to come up with the number theme after about 14, this year the themes are great, very general and easily sourced for most.
    I also try and enter some comps usually one that appeals to my aesthetics or I have an idea as soon as I see the theme. But I too have found this years POTW a bit obscure ....
    So maybe keep the similar themes used in the challenge and run them alternately as PTOF (fortnight ) & Fornightly Challenge. Just an idea

As Jane said "I Love the weekly challenge" Sometimes its all I get around to doing ... but .... I look forward to it each week So I'm glad to hear you will continue with this next year in some kind of format.
    You guys do well supplying the comps and challenge themes already...... So whatever you decide on is good with me and I will keep on trying to enter and participate & challenge myself

Cheers Cargo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also find the weekly challenges less "confronting" at the level of photography that I am at. They still provide terrific feedback and assistance but I feel I don't have to reach the level that I would in a competition.

Perhaps the colder weather just means less opportunity for people and the number of entires may increase as it gets warmer and daylight goes longer.

Has that been a trend in previous year Rick?
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    I also find the weekly challenges less "confronting" at the level of photography that I am at. They still provide terrific feedback and assistance but I feel I don't have to reach the level that I would in a competition.

Perhaps the colder weather just means less opportunity for people and the number of entires may increase as it gets warmer and daylight goes longer.

Has that been a trend in previous year Rick?
    Not at all. Which is is why I am asking these questions. I want to find out what the members think. It would seem that perhaps the themes for POTW are to obscure except for those few who are dedicated to really getting creative. I will let these discussions continue for the next day or so and then make a decision on the POTW themes by Sunday, so we can move forward with a plan that everyone knows about for the rest of 2013. Whether that is to stick to the currently selected themes of come up with some simpler and perhaps more generic ones that encourage more to enter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My $0.02. Whilst I have given thought to entering the POTW competitions I prefer the Weekly Challenges. As many have suggested, I consider my level of skill not to a point where I could feel confident (yet) of entering the competition and enjoy the Weekly Challenge as a challenge to myself, not against others. I'm viewing the weekly challenges as allowing me to explore, improve and enjoy photography without instilling a level of competition to it.

I've gone so far as to have a list of the weekly themes in my notebook and as I'm out shooting I'll consider what I'm around and if a theme fits in. As an example, I shot a series of stairs pictures two months ago (from memory) that I'll use this week.

That being said...what if the POTW were of a longer duration? As they are more obscure and require a greater level of consideration, preparation and finalisation before submitting an entry perhaps consider a Weekly Challenge and Photo of the Month? It would allow the continuation of the weekly challenges for fun and feedback along with a larger timeframe for more concentrated work to enter the competitions? Having a POTM may also reduce some to the administrative work behind that project as well?

Whatever the outcome, I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities the site offers Rick and will continue to participate as much as I can.

Bill
    Hi! I'm Bill.

Constructive critique on photos and suggestions and tips for editing is most welcome.
    Nikon D5100, D7000, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 55-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    SB-700 Speedlight, Manfrotto MKC3-H01

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    More opinion needed. Does having both a Photo of the Week and the 52/2013 with themes, dilute the Photo of the Week?
    No I dont think it does. I feel its the Themes that are putting Members off with the POTW comps.

We have two themes running concurrently each week this year, do you feel that by having them both (with the same schedule of weekly) we are getting members who contribute to one or the other, but not both?
    Maybe.. Though some Members prefer the challenge others prefer the comps.
    I prefer the challenge as I am always down the lower end of the scale in comps.
    That may be the reason other Members dont enter the comps either who knows ?

Should we look at a different formula in 2014 for the member challenges such that they are completely different schedules to any of our competitions?
    That could be a better idea Rick, though with the Challenge Members often submit even after that particular week is over.
    Many of the Members take the photos in advance so I dont think that has anything to do with declining entries in the POTW.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The challenges are completely different to the competitions - for a start they are not anonymous, so you can see how the "challengers" are progressing. They are much more informal, friendly and non-competitive (obviously). For myself, the challenge is to come up with a photo during the week that particular subject is the challenge. I've put in an occasional "ringer" but try not to. I am challenging myself, not anyone else. And it is fascinating to see how different people interpret different subjects.
    When I started doing the challenges a few years ago, each person chose their own particular subject or technique for the year, and that is another way of doing it. Less work for the mods. too.
    I am probably one of the few who has absolutely no interest in entering competitions, I've never been competitive - but I do try to vote on all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never contributed to a weekly challenge and have only offered up a handful for POTW. This isn't exactly by design but is more largely down to the fact that my contribution and forum presence is generally coincident with me being at my place of residence for anything longer than a day or two, which is rare.

I think occasionally the POTW themes can be a little over specific but another interpretation of that could be that they are not always to my liking insofar as what I like to shoot or feel I do well. The themes that I have enjoyed this year were the colour series, they were broad enough to engender a lot of varied entries - most of which I thought were of a pretty high standard too but had some similarity or thread tying them together well.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an impression. Seems to have been many more themed comps this year than previous years. If you didn't like a theme, you only had to wait a week or two to enter an unthemed comp.

.... It would seem that perhaps the themes for POTW are to obscure except for those few who are dedicated to really getting creative. .....
    Would agree with that.
    And some themes and their sub-themes go for a month. How many people read Tarot and turned off POTW for a month?
    Think the weekly challenge has very little to do with participation in POTW and helps newer members learn. Also provides a sense of community for the relatively small numbers of APers who play there.
    Last edited by Mark L; 16-08-2013 at 8:52pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the member challenge..I did my first one 2 years ago and I loved it. I found last year's topic of numbers too restrictive but have really enjoyed this years challenge with the different topic per week. I hope we will have something very similar next year
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel