User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 50D or 60D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50D or 60D

Well I planned to by me a 7d but through family circumstances (seperation) I just cannot justify to spend a 1000$ on a new camera body yet.
    So i am torn between the 50D and 60D.I know, the 60D is the newer body but is that enough to give it the thumps up?
    What you guys think would be the better choice! I know the 60D got no AF microadjust which might be a good reason to go 50D, but how importend is the AF microadjust anyway? I got mainly tamron lenses as my better lenses and so far I am pretty happy with the sharpness which I achived in combination with my 20D body!
    Also I know already that I could not use my CF cards on the 60D and I might even need to buy new batteries!
    The think is there is not much of a price difference between the 60D and the 50D and therefore I like to make the right choice.
    I do mainly macro, tranportation, landscape and sportfotography!
    Any advice would be apprecieated!
    I am happy about any CC to the pictures I show. These pictures can be P.P. and in the same thread showed again!
    Thank you Klaus!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a 50D for some time and it is certainly a capable camera. The high ISO performance is not that great but I could never really fault it in any other aspect. The 50D is discontinued now but that does not mean it is not a good camera. Having never used the 60D I cannot comment.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fess67 for your answer.
    Just one question,
    did you ever used the AF microadjust function or had you no problems with out of focus pictures which would relate to a wrong adjustet lens?
    Cheers Klaus!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never needed to use it. I did use it on one of my other camera bodies but it turned out to be my technique and not the lens that was at fault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I not long upgraded to the 7D, waited ages for it to fall under the 1K mark too lol, my old 50D is now my back-up. I put my long lens on the 7D and the wide on the 50D so I don't have to change lenses at an event. The 50D has served me well, I agree, the low light ability isn't the best.

You can pick up a descent 2nd hand 50D like I did and you wont have to spend extra for cards as you already have them. I outlaid on good glass first after being given advice here and then when I could afford it I upgraded the body. Camera bodies are updated all the time but good glass will last years if you look after it

I have never needed to use the AF microadjust either
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey m8, what is your budget? You say you cannot go $1000 but a 60D is available for $845. What are you looking at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd go the 60D. The micro-adjust is a fairly niche function. New means warranty as well. The flippy screen is pretty nifty too. My 500D has the same sensor/ISO performance of the 50D, and 1600ISO can look mighty good with a properly exposed shot. But then the 60D would be at least one stop better I'd guess.

p.s. This isn't bad for an old rebel @1600ISO

Lizard 02 by Photo By GR, on Flickr
    A magical box that captures light!
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both cameras, go for the 60D. Flip screen is real handy, it handles higher ISO and also newer camera with warranty. My 50D was less than a year old when the shutter button refused to work - repaired but then broke again about 6 mths later - I couldn't trust the camera after that. I now have the 7D but that upgrade was only for sport with higher burst mode & better AF. In all other regards the 60D takes the same pics as 7D but is smaller & lighter, ideal camera size I felt.
    Last edited by Old Skool; 17-08-2013 at 10:37am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all your opinnions.
    Than the 60D will be it!
    Cheers Klaus!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Than the 60D will be it!
    Good choice (not that I know anything about the 50D!!). I've been happy with mine.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear that you are happy with your 60D Mark!
    Here is a store in the near who has a second hand one for 500$ might go there later in the day and put money down for a laybuy!
    and then in 1 - 2 month time it should be mine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Canon positioned the 60D as an upgrade from the 500D/550D, rather than as an upgrade from the 50D.

The 50D has AF micro-adjust, a flash sync socket, CF cards, magnesium alloy body shell, and an N3 remote connector, while the 60D loses the AF micro-adjust, doesn't have a flash sync socket, uses SD cards, has a plastic body, and uses the E3 remote socket.
    The 60D also has a slower shooting rate than the 50D - the 60D can manage 5.3 frames/sec vs the 50D's 6.3 frames/sec.

It really depends what you are looking for in a camera - for some people, the 60D's slightly smaller and lighter plastic body (compared to the 50D's magnesium alloy body shell) is useful - and similarly with the articulated rear LCD screen, while for others (especially people who already have a collection of CF cards, and an N3 remote or two), the 50D is a more sensible option.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your opinion mpot, but it looks like the camera still has to wait a bit, I havent got the money in the moment. Hopefully oin 2 - 3 month I will be able to buy me a camera again!
    Cheers Klaus!