User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Found out how to set my Canon to NOT use flash for fill in Aperture priority mode

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found out how to set my Canon to NOT use flash for fill in Aperture priority mode

There is an obscure (to me before now) setting in what they call the "Custom Functions" that let's you force the camera to use 1/200th second shutter speed when in Aperture priority mode with flash. This totally solves the problem I had (see http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ut-using-flash) where it would choose a very slow shutter speed in low light, causing blurred images due to movement.

From the Canon 600D manual...

If you do not want a slow shutter speed to be used, set [3: Flash sync.
    speed in Av mode] to [1: 1/200-1/60 sec. auto] or [2: 1/200 sec.
    (fixed)] in [7 Custom Functions (C.Fn)]
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey manuals are wonderful things

If only we spent more time reading them

I too have had similar experiences of "Oh thats how you do that"
    Hi my name is Malcolm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they bury gems like this as notes at the bottom of the main instructions, so you have to read very closely

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, was close to investigating this. I wanted to get the shutter speed down with some bird (and other) photos in AV. You've saved me some time. Camera adjusted tonight.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Thanks, was close to investigating this. I wanted to get the shutter speed down with some bird (and other) photos in AV. You've saved me some time. Camera adjusted tonight.
    No probs. Glad I posted it then.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use auto in Av mode as normal, but when inside or at night outside I set my flash sinc to 1/250th of a sec. As I may need to use different f stops.

Peter
    Any comments and critique always welcome
    Canon 400d twin lens kit & 60d : Canon 580 EX II & 430 EX II Flash | Cokin filters NDG 2,4 & 8 ND 8. + CPL | Sigma APO 150-500 OS DG | Canon 400L Canon 17-40L & 60 mm Macro.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good tip, Wetpixels. So far as I know it's new. I haven't seen this function on any of my Canons, which are all older than the 600D.

With fill flash, if in doubt I generally set the flash unit to HSS and use manual exposure. Only when I'm just after a quick little bit of subtle fill flash in good light do I use AV. The convolutions of the two different exposure systems (actual exposure system and flash exposure system) make my brain ache and it's usually easier just to use manual exposure, generally for a bit less than par (say 1 stop down, maybe a bit more) and set the FEC to be a bit less also (- 2/3rds often works well).
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip...just have to remember it now!