Thread: Dumb Ways to Die -- National Rail Safety Week 2013

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumb Ways to Die -- National Rail Safety Week 2013

This is national rail safety week - be safe!!

http://www.railsafetyweek.com/site/homepage.php

Also some photographic info http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ing-amp-Safety

FYI I'm very aware of rail injury and death, mostly caused by people doing dumb things (check 2.21 onwards in the video).

RSW2013.jpg
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some doozies too, when out gunzelling. I always wear my fluoro vest, check with the officials first, and take a lot of care. I don't do it on my own either, Warwick 'spots' for me when I am away down the camera lens.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The campaign has an app that you can play. Kids love it and it plays the campaign ad too. This campagn was released a year or so ago. Very clever!! The kids and I can't stop singing it!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough they are a silent killer.

Not sure i will be able to describe this well enough over typing, an interesting way to test how quite a train can be is stand on a train station (behind the line of course), face in the direction the train is heading. the moment you hear the train turn around and see how close it is! then think if you were standing on the track would you have enough time to get out of the way,

Hope that made sence.

gunzelling what happen to the term train spotting?

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
    Gunzelling what happen to the term train spotting?
    Aussie term vs pommie

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Thats was the sad thing i ahd a google it, i am so not hip!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was another discussion on here about gunzels and gunzelling some time ago, I know I participated in it. I wondered what response it would engender this time looking forward to gunzelling some different trains and scenery in Tassie

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226696606757

FORGET youth gangs, level crossings and overhead electrical wires. New data from Queensland Rail has revealed the biggest danger to train commuters is themselves. The number of people injured while running for trains or leaving platforms climbed again in the year to June 30, to about two every weekday.
    The increase comes despite a "positive and colourful" poster campaign by Queensland Rail urging people not to fall down, and to "beware closing doors".
    The rate of injuries has increased steadily in the past few years to 475 in the 12-months to June up from 416 in 2011.
    Transport Minister Scott Emerson said he wanted to draw attention to the issue in this Rail Safety Week.
    "I'm concerned when I see an increase like this, particularly the number of people hurting themselves because they were not paying attention or rushing to catch the train," Mr Emerson said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many people underestimate the size, speed and lethal capacity of a train, tram, truck or bus. I have seen so many people underestimate where the traffic is stopped when approaching train lines and it is easy to do. Once you are stuck over the lines, you have no where to go until that traffic moves.
    My uncle was a train driver in Adelaide for many years. He was involved in two major accidents. The first one involved a truck that crashed off a bridge and landed just in front of the train. All he saw was a cloud of dust and had seconds to hit the emergency brake before running through the train telling people to get down. He shielded a pregnant woman with his own body and was hailed a bit of a hero in the papers. That accident caused him many sleepless nights, the driver of the truck was killed and there was absolutely nothing he could do. He continued driving, despite what he had been through. A few years later, not sure how many years had passed, he was driving a train through Emmerson station. A young lad had waited for the approaching train to pass and then started walking across the crossing. He did not see my uncles train approaching from the other way and was killed. My uncle never really recovered from that one. He had a massive heart attack not long afterwards and was a sick man the rest of his life. It was thought that the trauma from the accident had played a big part in contributing to him having a heart attack. He had also spoken prior to the accident about his fear when approaching train stations, because you never knew whether there would be someone mucking about near the tracks, people too close to the edge of the platform, drunks staggering about etc. He told us about another driver that he knew who had slowed down to approach a station. He saw a person standing at the railway crossing as he approached. As the train drew closer, this person looked directly at him, smiled, pulled his cardigan over his head and stepped into the path of the train. He had chosen to commit suicide by train. That driver NEVER drove a train again. All he could see was the look on that persons face everytime he shut his eyes. All these people who muck about playing chicken with trains, trams, buses and trucks never think they will be struck and never think of the person driving it. They may be killed instantly because of their stupidity or lack of concentration, or by accident, but the person driving the vehicle lives a nightmare for the rest of their lives.