Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo of the Week competitions - 2014

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo of the Week competitions - 2014

The mods and I have noticed the decline in entries for our Photo of the Week competitions. Our perceived reason is that many are finding the themes to hard, or to obscure?

We are working on the 2014 competition themes and our current idea is to have an Open competition every second week, with a genre based competition the other week, rotating through the entire year.

We would like to hear from you, the members, on your thoughts on why you do not enter the current competitions and if a different approach to the themes would encourage you to participate more? Do you like our idea for next year? Do you have any other ideas for what we could do for 2014?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to enter most potw comps, but I kinda tend to get busy and forget about the themes I will have to try harder
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actualy thinking about not trying to enter so much as i have, as i feel some of my entry have so really contributed to the overall quailty of the comps. Do i enjoy the challenge of the comp as it makes me think outside the box and take me out of my comfort zone, but i think at my skill level i should maybe be asking if i can to the weekly member challenge instead.
    As for the open comp every second week, in my case i guess i would contribute less. As i don't really have the largest collection of photos. and with my family life it isn't always easy for me to get out and take photo. Hence why i has some many night shots(wait til kids in bed, and wife is home) but that is now, things may change by next year.

Former Username : Wetpixels Dazz1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right about some of the themes being hard. At least I have found some recent ones very difficult. I think themes that can be more easily interpreted many ways are a good way to let people show their creativity.

Also, as a beginner, I find it easier to put try when the comp is graded. Just a bit less intimidating, but I see how this might reduce the number of entries in each section.
    80D, 600D, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: DPP4, Gimp, UFRaw, Rawtherapee, DigiKam, Hugin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I preferred last years themes - birds, seascapes, portraits, astrophotography, landscapes, wildlife, sport etc plus a few opens.

Call me lazy (and I am here ) but I don't have the time to plan and execute a shoot to get the photos needed for most of this years themes. I have only been entering the open comps.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Ausphotography Regular leanneqld's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I searched my entire house for a sword, but alas I was all out of them.

Seriously, the last few challenges were a bit obscure but I don't mind that just not so many obscure ones all in a row. I get sick of the usual birds, landscapes etc so throwing something different in as a challenge now and then is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the last few themes are a bit too hard to pull together in one week. Maybe they are best suited for a monthly theme? Definately weekly themes should represent what we all take pictures of in our day to day lives .....like birds, birds, birds.....hahaha! Only joking! Landscapes, Monochromatic, Candids etc are more easily achieved within the week.

I too don't have a sword, nor a wand and I haven't the time to hunt any down nor the money to buy just for a weekly competition.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Yes some have been obscure, but we had hoped that would get people out of their comfort zones and trying something new and different. Maybe we have expected a little to much and that people are happy with their own genre base? Which is why we are looking at next years themes and possibly just having open and genre comps rather than more interpretive ideas as themes.

Maybe we need to revisit the upcoming themes for 2013 and make some changes to what we had planned, to encourage more entries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the themes you put up, and think that the comps should test people a bit.

R/L + a bung PC have meant I don't enter very often, but I'm more likely to enter a rated comp then an open one, and also more likely to enter a themed comp then an open themed one.
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont bother entering any Comps now. Though I do Vote.
    I was tempted with the Sword comp as we do have a Letter Opener that looks a little lethal, but time went by and I forgot.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too haven't entered a comp for a while as i have found the themes a little difficult for me time wise, though I still vote on them each week.
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd enter a beginner's comp (although I have no skills!!!) if the theme was not too obscure and didn't assume the entrants owned a tripod or filters or had any particular post-production skills.
    Perhaps the skill level is intimidating for the intermediate members because some of the pics I've seen are brilliant.

oh, and can a mod change my skill level to beginner please!!!! Or should I PM someone directly? thanks so much.
    Chelle.
    I've had my camera on AUTO for far too long... learning the ropes on my Sony A300.
    C&C welcome - but keep it simple!
    I'm more interested in capturing memories than in taking the best photo ever (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say the themes of the last few POTWs have been a bit too ethereal for me, although I have had a go in a few.

I think themes within the pretty large range of categories covered by the Forum list would be more appealing. Some categories could be made fairly specific occasionally, eg. trees, water,sky from Landscapes and so on?

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, Ian, of narrowing it down, like you said, for example, trees or water or sky. Maybe everyday objects instead of sword or wand? Cups was a good one, but alas I wasn't able to submit for that. Even colours can be used. With architecture, maybe, bricks or metal, or bridge etc. That may make people start to think more outside their comfort zone but still have access to these 'items'.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    I'd enter a beginner's comp (although I have no skills!!!) if the theme was not too obscure and didn't assume the entrants owned a tripod or filters or had any particular post-production skills.
    Perhaps the skill level is intimidating for the intermediate members because some of the pics I've seen are brilliant.

oh, and can a mod change my skill level to beginner please!!!! Or should I PM someone directly? thanks so much.
    You have been a member since 2009, so you would not be a beginner.
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-08-2013 at 3:55pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with just about everybody else. The last couple of months POTW themes would be more suited to an up and coming national/state members meet. Where the group collaborate together and come up with a couple of images.
    I haven't liked the themes that have been up lately. In fact I thought some a little silly. And with many of us, time is a big factor in coming up with ideas for them...
    I think last years set was about perfect. No hassle, no stress. I know it's hard for the admin and mods to come up with ideas. But we all joined this forum to improve our skills. So hopefully our images in the same old themes, are better than the images that we put up in last years same old themes.

I do like the idea of a political theme (As read on FB) I think that could be a lot of fun.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the scoring system you have now so that when remember to enter I get a rating of how I'm going and I wish I had more time to get organised for a particular theme, rather than just grabbing the first best shot I can remember.

I do now use lightroom so I'm slowly getting more organised with a catalogue, but firstly, I'm a mile behind, and secondly, my key words don't necessarily match the themes anyway.

What would help me get involved more would be a more advanced "warning" of the upcoming topics. If I remember correctly a couple of years ago the topics were publish on the site some months in advance.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    I like the scoring system you have now so that when remember to enter I get a rating of how I'm going and I wish I had more time to get organised for a particular theme, rather than just grabbing the first best shot I can remember.

I do now use lightroom so I'm slowly getting more organised with a catalogue, but firstly, I'm a mile behind, and secondly, my key words don't necessarily match the themes anyway.

What would help me get involved more would be a more advanced "warning" of the upcoming topics. If I remember correctly a couple of years ago the topics were publish on the site some months in advance.
    we do give advanced details:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...he-Week-themes

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...11th-August%29

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...he-Week-themes
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-08-2013 at 8:54pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that but it was the more advanced warning I was trying to get across, say 3 months. I seem to remember a list like that in the past

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only enter if I have something in line with the current comp because although I know it's the intention of the competition to get us out shooting more I simply don't have time with a full on high energy baby taking up all my time after work. I have hardly taken a shot in the last year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast