Thread: So Hard Why does my Head hurt

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Hard Why does my Head hurt

This isnt a thread to whinge,only to ask

I am after a small range of glass in size and weight but not to sacrifice quality of image

A short list I have and opinion from member is asked for
    They are 16-35mm f/4 VR or 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 AF-S tough to split them
    20mm f/2.8 D small and precise
    24-85 f/3.5-4.5 AF-s limited knowledge

I have trolled @ DXoMark for information but most value comes from ppl experience good or bad

I have pre ordered the 16-35 and the 20mm but more info is sending me bonkers

Help

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if this helps but I bought the 16-35 f4 a few months ago to pair with my d600 . I was having a holiday in England. I used it non stop for three weeks and loved my results. Because so many places won't let you use a tripod, the VR came in very handy and the majority of my shots were handheld. It is not heavy and I really enjoy using it. I felt the sharpness was very good..I could read inscriptions on tombs in churches so I thought that was a pretty fair assessment. Good luck in the search..it is never easy
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what do you intend shooting with them? Seeing as you have ordered the 16-35 and the 20mm (good choices from the selection given), how about stopping now. Get those, go out, take photos, enjoy your photography, then revisit what other lens you might want in three months or so. Stop over-thinking it, and just enjoy taking photos with what you have. Then consider what you cannot do with the lenses you have and what would fill the 'gaps' in your lens line-up based on what you shoot, what you want to shoot etc.

Sometimes when our heads hurt, the best decision is not to make a decision at all!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, why the 20mm and the 16-35mm?

OK, you get an extra 'f' stop and narrower DOF but how often would the prime be the only suitable lens?
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the other two posts. I dont think you need both the 20mm and one of the zooms unless you have a very specific use in mind for the 20mm.

I also agree that its probably a better idea so settle on one lens and use that for a while and figure out what you are missing then make your next purchse with a better understanding of what will satisfy your needs.

Out of what you listed I'd go the 16-35 F4 for a few reasons:

I think its a good range -
    Constant aperture is a good thing
    You are only losing 1 stop against the 20mm and the VR will make up for this.
    As I understand it though there si a bit of barrel distortion at the wider end though that can be easily corrected in post.

My thoughts...

Cheers
    Gav.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will love the 20mm I took one to Bangkok this year and used it for all my indoor temple shots
    Nikon D600 tamron 24-70 2.8 50 1.4 K5 Da70 Da 40

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I want to focus ( sorry for the pun ) on landscape,so with thinking that the 20mm would go with the D300s and the 16-35 to the D700
    but with thinking on it I will go the 16-35 only for now.I have been caught up with personal stuff and havent been able to get out to shoot.
    Possible in the future the 24-85 would be on the list as I have heard that's it sharp when shooting on the D600

Yes I will go and shoot but time and stress usually doesnt mix well

cheers

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about the 24-85 and do yourself a big favour and get the creme of the crop , the 24-70 2.8 Nikon , can't go wrong , solid performer with awesome IQ
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatch View Post
    Forget about the 24-85 and do yourself a big favour and get the creme of the crop , the 24-70 2.8 Nikon , can't go wrong , solid performer with awesome IQ

Oh yes but weight is a factor ,so perhaps 24-120 f/4 VR will be in the mix in the future

cheers