User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18

Thread: 1dx and 5d3 for birding

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1dx and 5d3 for birding

I currently use the 5d3 for birding and I love this camera and I find now I cannot go back to crop (7d). My particular love in birding is capturing bird in flight and action (behavioral).

What I have noticed is my camera is slow (buffer, I am guessing when I shoot continuous) - my card speed is 60mbs (sandisk). I spoke with a very good birder who has both cameras and said it was my card and to try the lexar 1000x (150 mbs). I was on the verge of buying the 1dx, but I decided to ask him some questions before I hit the buy button. So I ordered the card and hope to have next week.

Anyway, I went to a camera shop today to use a voucher I had won for cards. So, I was asking for fastest cards and he said it was my 5d3 that was slow and that the 1dx was way better. He said that the 60mbs was the maximum that the 5d3 could cope with.

I know that the 1dx does double fps that the 5d3, but I am reasonably happy with the 5fps of the 5d3, but finding it really noticeable the lag and sometimes it seems ages before I can shoot again.

What are your opinions on this, as I thought the technology in the 5d3 is pretty close to the 1dx.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean that your 7D was faster than the 5DIII too ?
    Last edited by flashc; 09-08-2013 at 10:09pm.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is at 7fps - the 5d3 is noticeably slower when I use the fps. The processing rate - busy light comes on.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon specs say 12 fps for the 1 DX and 6 fps for the 5D III. The 1DX got an extra processor in the pipeline and a smaller sensor = faster frame rate. There is a difference in the technology with that extra processor.

I have a 5D III and can get the 6 fps with a standard 40mbs memory card - about 10 - 12 shots before the buffer runs out.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 1DX and I use Scandisk 60mbs cards. Sure it is possible to fill the buffer and I may be able to get more shots away with a faster card. However, the number of shots required to fill the buffer is pretty high and the recovery is fast. Example. I just fired off 40 shots before the buffer slowed and within 2 seconds I was able to fire rapid shots again. I am pretty sure if you have not got what you want with that capability then......well I have seen your shots and I kow that is going to give you all the capability you need.

Since getting my 1DX I have sold my 5D2 and the 1DIV is pretty much gathering dust. Go get one, you will be smiling for months

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I have the 1DX and I use Scandisk 60mbs cards. Sure it is possible to fill the buffer and I may be able to get more shots away with a faster card. However, the number of shots required to fill the buffer is pretty high and the recovery is fast. Example. I just fired off 40 shots before the buffer slowed and within 2 seconds I was able to fire rapid shots again. I am pretty sure if you have not got what you want with that capability then......well I have seen your shots and I kow that is going to give you all the capability you need.

Since getting my 1DX I have sold my 5D2 and the 1DIV is pretty much gathering dust. Go get one, you will be smiling for months
    Thanks, I do think its only a matter of time before I buy this camera, lol. But, was hoping to hold off a little longer as I have some travel I want to do. Thanks for your thoughts, I agree that I would be smiling for months and hubby probably wouldn't see me for dust, as I would be out birding crazily.

Also, my daughter didn't blink an eyelid, when the guy was talking about the camera, she said to me "Mum, just buy it, its not like you won't use it or anything".

Quote Originally Posted by vk2gwk View Post
    The Canon specs say 12 fps for the 1 DX and 6 fps for the 5D III. The 1DX got an extra processor in the pipeline and a smaller sensor = faster frame rate. There is a difference in the technology with that extra processor.

I have a 5D III and can get the 6 fps with a standard 40mbs memory card - about 10 - 12 shots before the buffer runs out.
    Thanks, I don't think mine is that good (I shoot raw as well). I didn't know it had a smaller sensor.

Keep pondering Shelley .
    Last edited by Shelley; 09-08-2013 at 10:48pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay Shelley,

Have you read this? There is a good comparison between the two bodies under the heading "Canon EOS 1D X Feature Advantages Over the EOS 5D Mark III"

The 1DX by all accounts has the better transfer rate, but will require the right card to utilise what the cameras processor can deliver.

1DX

5D3
    Last edited by Roosta; 10-08-2013 at 10:35am.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roosta, will go and read this.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the expression that the salesman used when he said "that the 60mbs was the maximum that the 5d3 could cope with". Surely extra speed of a card is not something the camera "copes" with. It may not make full use of it, but that's putting a different slant on it. Might be that you will see some improvement over your existing speed, just maybe not the full amount the card can support.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    "Mum, just buy it, its not like you won't use it or anything".
    Close the thread. Nothing more to say.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problems with Extreme IV in both 5DIII or 1 series cameras for birding or movies.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=2595

With a Lexar Professional 32GB 1000x UDMA-7 CompactFlash Memory Card installed alone, the 5D III will deliver a burst of 33 RAW images (photographing a dim scene).
    The 5D III's max SDHC/SDXC write speed is slower than its CF max write speed - and the UHS-I standard is not supported. With a Lexar Professional 32GB 133x SDHC Memory Card installed alone, the 5D III will deliver a burst of 16 RAW images (photographing the same dim scene).

Put both cards in the camera at the same time and the 5D III's write speed will be the speed of the card being written to. Writing to the 1000x CF card will result in a 33 RAW frame burst and the 133x SDHC card will take 16 RAW frames.

By default, the 5D III will write to the last card slot used. You can change this card slot designation in the first tool menu tab (Record func+card/folder sel). The card slot numbers are indicated on the memory card door. CF is slot 1, SDHC is slot 2.

5DIII 1000x writes 80mbs/ 300x wrires 37mbs/ 133x writes 12mbs
    7D 1000x writes 57mbs/ 300x writes 35mbs/ 133x writes 12mbs.

The faster camera (Canon EOS 5D MkIII) gains more out of a 1000x card than a Canon EOS 7D does, though the 7D is fast enough to still gain some advantage from the fastest card. Older cameras like the EOS 20D wrote so slowly that there's hardly any difference between a 40x card and a 133x card. I'm sure a 300x or 1000x wouldn't increase the write rate above that of a 133x card since the speed limitation is clearly in the camera, not the card

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Tony B, I use a 32gb Lexar 1000x CF card in my 5DIII and whilst I can still fill the buffer, it doesn't stay full for very long at all. In fact it stays full long enough for me to think, "Oops! Filled the buffer", and then I can shoot away again. I've also noticed the SD card is much slower, but I'm using a 64gb 600x Lexar in that one, and it fills the buffer and stays full much longer with the slower card. I think you'll be very happy with your new card.

I had no trouble filling the buffer on my 1DIII either using Extreme III cards. The Lexars aren't accepted in the 1DIII. I must check and see if there is a firmware update for that.
    Last edited by Warbler; 12-08-2013 at 11:13am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    I don't like the expression that the salesman used when he said "that the 60mbs was the maximum that the 5d3 could cope with". Surely extra speed of a card is not something the camera "copes" with. It may not make full use of it, but that's putting a different slant on it. Might be that you will see some improvement over your existing speed, just maybe not the full amount the card can support.
    It could be correct. I was considering a faster card for my 60D as it reaches buffer relatively quickly and I have missed shots waiting for it to clear while birding. After some research I found out that the hardware in the 60D means the maximum write speed it will achieve with any card is 30mb/s. Can't remember the technical terms for the way it writes or what is limiting it unfortunately.

Am surprised the 5DIII is only 6fps and doesn't sound like it writes much faster than a 60D. Even the new 70D will be 7fps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxygen45 View Post
    Am surprised the 5DIII is only 6fps and doesn't sound like it writes much faster than a 60D. Even the new 70D will be 7fps.
    Don't confuse frame rates with write speeds or buffer capacities. They're not the same thing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it been clarified whether Shelley is using SD or CF card?
    Would have expected that the latest generation of "gun" CF cards would cope with anything the 5D can serve it.
    I'm only running a 64Gb 60Mb/s CF card and don't have any problems but then again I'm not one to keep the finger on the button.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty on the net about this. Interestingly, I'm using the same setup as this bloke including both cards and the USB3 Card Reader from Lexar.

http://jeffcable.blogspot.com.au/201...d-in-your.html
    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind...?topic=7600.15

Go the 1Dx Shelley. You can use two UDMA7 CF cards simultaneously.
    Last edited by Warbler; 12-08-2013 at 9:16pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, lots of reading put up for me guys and I appreciate it. My CF card arrived today. I have noticed that the SD card is slower (I only have one) the rest are 2 8g (60 mbs) 16g (90 mbs) - my new card is 32g 1000x - so will be trying this weekend.

Yes, its only a matter of time before that hot little camera is in my hands (I love photography) and it will be used a lot.

Appreciate all the input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Plenty on the net about this. Interestingly, I'm using the same setup as this bloke including both cards and the USB3 Card Reader from Lexar.

http://jeffcable.blogspot.com.au/201...d-in-your.html
    http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/ind...?topic=7600.15

Wow, what a revelation - that is my problem - I thought I was going mad. Thanks for that link.

Go the 1Dx Shelley. You can use two UDMA7 CF cards simultaneously.
    Wow, what a revelation - that is my problem - I thought I was going mad. Thanks for that link.
    Last edited by Shelley; 12-08-2013 at 11:26pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like to update and say that I no longer put a sd card in my camera and I am having no problems with speed and buffer. Very happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Just like to update and say that I no longer put a sd card in my camera and I am having no problems with speed and buffer. Very happy.
    I noticed this too when i was playing with magic lantern on my camera. Its a crazy stupid thing they did!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SD cards are slower. Never use them. Much prefer pro CF cards.