Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D3100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D3100

After 12 months waiting to afford a D3100 the moment will finally arrive in 2/3 weeks. Comes with 18-55 as usual. Wondered which would be the best way to go for a second lens. Looking forward to using the camera.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what do you shoot? landscapes, portraits, sports? The second lens should be based on what genre you like to shoot.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there is Macro Lens for Insects and Flowers. And a Telephoto lens for Birds, Wildlife and more Flowers.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ultra wide angle lens?
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before recommending other lenses, as already stated .. it's best to indicate to the members what your goals are.
    What is your preferred photography subject matter.

35mm f/1.8 can be a fun lens to have access too for a lot of general usage.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pondering the same thing. Which second lens, after the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera (600D in my case). A wide aperture prime lens is often recommended though. I definitely want a macro, and I also envy those with a good long telephoto - so it's just a matter of which one first.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the interest. I am interested in landscape and nature. Am considering the 55-200 as a start. I feel the 2 lenses will cover those interests for a while yet. So much to learn and enjoy in that package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tasherlock View Post
    Thanks for the interest. I am interested in landscape and nature. Am considering the 55-200 as a start. I feel the 2 lenses will cover those interests for a while yet. So much to learn and enjoy in that package.
    When I looked at zoom/tele I was wondering if something that went to 300mm or more would be better. I was looking at 70-300mm actually. I wonder what the experts think is needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nikon 70-300 VR is a pretty good lens. I like mine. A couple of pix from it are in this thread.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oint-afternoon

The thing to watch is that there is a couple of versions though. The non VR version is very cheap (about the same price as a 55-200 VR) but it is not a great lens. You definitely get what you pay for. The 55-200 is better for the same money. The VR version of the 70-300, which I have, while more expensive, has better image quality and therefore better value in the longer term.
    Cheers, John D
    Nikon D50; D90; D7000; D600; 24-85fx; 18-70dx; 18-105dx; 105mm micro f2.8Dfx; 55-200dx; 50mm f1.8Dfx; 35mm f1.8Gdx; 85mm f1.8Dfx; 70-300VRfx; Sigma 10-20dx; sb600; sb80dx; Metz 45 CT4 + some basic studio stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply John. Finances limit me to the 55-200 with VR and I look forward to using it. Now have the camera and learning to use it. Has anyone tried the free course in DSLR with Karl Taylor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply John. Finances limit me to the 55-200 with VR and I look forward to using it. Now have the camera and learning to use it. Has anyone tried the free course in DSLR with Karl Taylor.
    IMO I think your better off looking at the AP Beginner courses and Tutes here on AP , I had a look at his Videos and a lot of the stuff you will get with practice , All you need to learn is the Photographic Triangle , Which is Aperture , ISO and shutter speed, Once you have that the sky's the limit , Save your money and go out and shoot , Post the pics on here for CC and you WILL learn , A lot more cheaply , BTW most of the shots that he showed were shot in a studio environment with a lot of real expensive gear which many of us will never aspire to having , Would be good though Your on the Sunshine Coast , Look at the members meets and go out in a group , You will learn heaps - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that on a D3100 you have a cropped sensor so do the adjustment before you buy if you're looking at FX lenses.
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    ..... you have a cropped sensor so do the adjustment before you buy if you're looking at FX lenses.

adjustment? .... which adjustment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 35mm becomes 50mm. The 50 becomes about an 85mm. etc

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be careful with these conversions.

An Xmm lens is always an Xmm lens irrespective of the format it's used with.

What you are describing is simple crop factor reduction in the FOV of the lens .. where the 50mm lens on full frame, looks like a 35mm lens on APS-C.

There is no adjustment to be done, and the fact that the lens is made for Fx has no impact on the result either.

All (D)SLR lenses are marked with their actual focal lengths(or focal length ranges) .. and no adjustments should be made when fitting to either an APS-C camera or full frame camera.
    Marked focal lengths on lenses are important for many reasons, and as one example of this, depth of field can be one of those considerations to allow for when the focal length of the lens is known.

So for a lens with Xmm focal length, it will provide a specific depth of field for a given focused distance and aperture value .. no matter what format you are using.
    The fact that an Xmm lens on an APS-C camera will provide a narrower field of view that it will on a full frame camera is actually irrelevant(to the lenses specifications and properties).

Hopefully your not leading yourself astray with your last comments, in that Fx lenses have some magical power to transform your Dx camera in some way.

So (that is) a 10-300mm lens made for Fx will provide exactly the same technical specifications(that lenses usually provide) on both an Fx camera and a Dx camera .... and conversely a Dx lens of 10-300mm will provide exactly the same technical specs on a Dx camera as it will on an Fx camera ... the only caveat being that with the Dx lens on an Fx format is that you will see the darkened corners of the Dx lens limitations.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 35mm becomes 50mm. The 50 becomes about an 85mm. etc
    No it does NOT!!!!!!! (one of my pet peevs, a lens ALWAYS has the same focal length, marketing tries to say lies about this )

I even drew a picture to explain it...
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...vs_Crop_Factor
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully understand the cash flow situation. I have the 55-200 non-VR version and its a good lens. Great for the $$$$. Its in the care of my daughter these days (along with the D50) and she gets very nice pix out of it.

Have fun with your new toys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    No it does NOT!!!!!!! (one of my pet peevs, a lens ALWAYS has the same focal length, marketing tries to say lies about this )

I even drew a picture to explain it...
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...vs_Crop_Factor
    This seems to contradict many other discussions on this topic.

I have a D3100 with a 50mm prime. I take a portrait and frame from the top of the head to the armpits.
    If someone is standing next to me with a full frame camera and the same 50mm lens, they will stand closer to the subject to get the same framing. No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to contradict many other discussions on this topic.

I have a D3100 with a 50mm prime. I take a portrait and frame from the top of the head to the armpits.
    If someone is standing next to me with a full frame camera and the same 50mm lens, they will stand closer to the subject to get the same framing. No?
    Surely the seeming contradiction is why they use they term "effectively" a lot. The 50mm lens behaves effectively like an 85mm on the crop sensor camera.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info which I will take notice of. However, I only intend to use a DX lens which suits the D3100. Thinking seriously about the 55-300 when I am comfortable with what I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast