Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomendations please for a late model IPS monitor

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recomendations please for a late model IPS monitor

I'm looking for a replacement for my TN monitor which is literally on the blink.

Good chance to go to a IPS monitor for better photo editing.

Can anyone recommend a model.
    I'm used to 24" and if I can get a worth while improvement over a good TN and still spend under say $500 then all the better.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out MSY they have LG & Viewsonic monitors for about $185's starting price for a 23'' and go up from there, both are long standing reputable brands other sizes are also available

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concur www.msy.com.au

MSY you can't complain about the service, because there is none. I.e. You need to know what you want, but the prices are rock bottom and you do get full warranty.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    MSY is definitely a strong option for where to get one.
    I have already looked at their prices and they are very good.

Needing to know what I want is the hard part at the moment.
    Something that is considered one of the best in the 3-500 dollar range.

Dell is one I have heard good things about, but MSY only have the Dell IPS range that have glass across the front, which I don't like the idea of.
    Why get a monitor with good view angles if you could get reflections and glare.

Alneeds computers in the city also have good prices often and their range has a good mix of quality.
    They have a Dell 24" U2410W UltraSharp IPS Monitor for $500, but the new model is U2413 so I'm not sure if that is a good price and one model does not make a comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a look myself yet bet another place you could look at on line is Getright Computers they have been around for quite a few years, could be worth a look.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asus PB278Q. 27" IPS(well PLS but basically the same tech) .. calibrates well according to reviews .. a bit low on resolution for a 27", but that will just make reading text a bit easier. MSY have it for $624.

The main point is that it calibrates with very high accuracy and really that's all that's important anyhow.

(realistically) I think that with a $500 budget, and 24(or more) inches ... I reckon whatever you get it should calibrate very well.
    Just make sure you have a calibration device, or that you leave enough money to get one as well as the screen!

Very few screens seem to come with good calibration settings by default.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asus PB278Q. 27" IPS(well PLS but basically the same tech) .. calibrates well according to reviews .. a bit low on resolution for a 27", but that will just make reading text a bit easier. MSY have it for $624.

Thanks, that will go on the list.
    I'm finding with a bit of reading that the newest models are not necessarily better.
    There are several versions of IPS and there are cases where the new model uses a not as good panel with a cheaper to manufacture IPS version construction.
    No doubt a drive to bring IPS features to the main stream market.
    But the previous models are usually not LED.

As usual I'm probably over thinking it , but I like to think my hard earned dollar is getting the best average of all the variables.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at models like the Asus above, also check out the U2713HM from Dell.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently got the dell 27" - its an awesome piece of kit for $700
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    If you are looking at models like the Asus above, also check out the U2713HM from Dell.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I just recently got the dell 27" - its an awesome piece of kit for $700
    Yeah! this is the thing .. if you can find a Dell U2713 .. they're the bees knees in terms of overall ability.

The recommended price of the Dell 2713 is $799 .. but if you can find one on special for closer to $700, then this would be more ideal .. and a better option compared to the Asus.

Newer IPS screen models are, in general, better than models of previous years.

Where an older model may have superior quality over a newer model, will almost certainly be due to other internal hardware involved .. not necessarily the screen itself.
    These higher quality screens have what's known as a 10bit onboard LUT(look up table).

The cheaper end screens, only have 8 bit colour capability, and NO hardware LUT onboard .. where the LUT is done via the graphics card.

A screen with an onboard LUT will have better overall performance, and better stability after calibration, as the screen itself is actually calibrated.
    With a graphics card LUT calibration system, the calibration is open to the vagaries of the operating system, AND the software used to create the calibration.

From what I can gather(from some of the review sites on the net) in terms of actual calibration between say an Asus PB278Q and a Dell 2713 .. you won't see any difference in the accuracy of the actual calibration between the two screens. In fact, the lower specced Asus actually calibrated more accurately than the Dell .. but this doesn't tell the entire story(and humans can't see these differences anyhow).
    Where the Dell will have the advantage is in the 10bit hardware, which allows accurate rendering of images displayed in aRGB colour mode .. where the Asus, can only manage sRGB accuracy. aRGB image need to be rendered(or mapped) accurately into the sRGB colour space by your software.
    Again, the difference is one that many of us may never actually see properly without seeing it in a side by side comparison.

Where the Dell is interesting for me .. is in the higher resolution of the screen. This means that you can fit more image, or software window, or spreadsheet, or multiple software onto the screen at one time.

I looked into the new 29" ultra wide 21:9 screens, but none are very good value for money, and what they gain in real estate on the screen, they lose out in terms of quality of rendering.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the though and informative explanation Arthurking

I might have to do some window shopping and see these 27" monitors to convince myself to spend that much. It probably would not take much convincing though if I did.
    As always you get what you pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Thanks for the though and informative explanation Arthurking

I might have to do some window shopping and see these 27" monitors to convince myself to spend that much. It probably would not take much convincing though if I did.
    As always you get what you pay for.
    Keep an eye out on the Dell website as they have 30% off monitor sales off and on, so the mentioned Dell monitor would be closer to $500 at that discount.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out on the Dell website as they have 30% off monitor sales off and on, so the mentioned Dell monitor would be closer to $500 at that discount.
    Coincidentally I was just about to post the same thing. The 2713HM was on sale a few weeks ago (you probably didn't want to hear that ) so might be a while before it's on sale again - I don't know how often this occurs. They currently have one in their 'factory outlet' (but note reduced warranty of 1 year instead of the usual 3 years).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at Dell monitors there are a few that seem similar in the 27" range but differ in price. Dell Ultra Sharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED is $799, whereas the Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" is $949. Not sure what the main difference is in terms of why one is $150 more than the other.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip on the prices reductions.
    I'm off to NZ at the end of the month , so purchase would be after that anyway, pending remaining funds.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at Dell monitors there are a few that seem similar in the 27" range but differ in price. Dell Ultra Sharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED is $799, whereas the Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" is $949. Not sure what the main difference is in terms of why one is $150 more than the other.
    The U2713H comes with calibration software for loading a calibration profile directly to the monitors internal hardware(or so it seems).
    Problem is, that to use the calibration software provided, you (apparently) need to have a particular X-rite calibration device that co operates with the screens hardware.

But in saying that, the H model does seem to be the 10bit model in the 27" range, which therefore has the ability to display adobeRGB, where the HM model is 8bit, and therefore can't display aRGB colour profiles.
    (I didn't realise that there were two U2713 models until now!)

Is that feature worth the extra expense ... that's up to the individual to decide.
    I'd probably pay (max) $700 for a 10bit monitor .. but $900(for a 27") is a bit too far fetched I reckon. I'd pay that for a 30" tho

Someone once posted a link to the Kogan site, where they had a 27" IPS 2560x1440 res screen on offer for about $400. It seemed quite OK in terms of specifications.

The LG panel used is hard to find info about to see if any other screen has also used it(to good or bad effect).

Being IPS, and hi res, I'd reckon it's a sure bet that it's only 8bit, so only does sRGB .. but again I can't see any reason why that's any reason not to consider one.
    I'm sure it would calibrate accurately tho .. it seems most modern IPS screens, in fact even non IPS types, such as PLS(a type of IPS), and even some TN screens can calibrate well enough to be useable for photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed- please read site rule 3*
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-08-2013 at 12:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bc Photo View Post
    *removed- please read site rule 3*
    Are you serious??? There are plenty of other suggestions and even links to other websites in this topic alone. Beat up on the new guy why don't you!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you see that the Dell 27" monitor was on sale again last week, 30% off - did you get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I'm looking for a replacement for my TN monitor which is literally on the blink.

Good chance to go to a IPS monitor for better photo editing.

Can anyone recommend a model.
    I'm used to 24" and if I can get a worth while improvement over a good TN and still spend under say $500 then all the better.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.

With a budget <$500 I don't think the Dell offerings (U2414H & U2412M models) compare well against the Asus PA248Q or AOC i2757. I am leaning towards the Asus but would welcome any other recommendations or comments.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Jaded62; 27-12-2013 at 7:43pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast