This Sunday will be my first family portrait shoot. My friend asked me if I could do this for her Mother and Father-In-Laws Wedding Anniversary. Ive known the family for a long time, so awkwardness isn't an issue - thank goodness - but there will be 5 families = 16 people.

I am laughing to myself, as this being my first and will be my biggest!!!

I have gone through the net searching for posing tips, clothing tips etc; and I will be visiting the farm where the shoot will take place the day before to get an idea on where and whats to be done. I have a country-style quilt, a bunting banner with the word FAMILY on the triangles and hopefully a stumpy log for props. I was considering an empty photo frame but decided against this as it isn't the look I am going for. The photos will all be outside (please don't rain!!) amongst vines, rusty sheds and farm things.

Actually, I photographed the Daughters (of the said couple) Wedding photos at this very farm back in the mid 90's when I didn't know much at all. She will be at the shoot on Sunday, so we will have a little laugh at that....she is now seperated from her 2nd husband (or is it 3rd?). LOL Lets hope I know a bit more about photography now, then when I did back then.....for example.....I shot her adjusting the makeup in a bedroom mirror but didn't take any notice of the surrounds things and there was a bunch of dead roses in a vase right below her!!! hahaha

I will be using my 600EX-RT Flash for fill-in (my on-camera-flash is broken). I am not too familiar with this flash as yet, so I presume putting the camera into Av mode will help will set the flash for fill in?? I have used it before but not like this. I can't use my remote cable release as I got it submerged in the sea water last weekend, but if the camera is on my sturdy tripod, there shouldn't be much movement.

For the main photo, with everyone in it, my friend wants to print this one big. I have to make sure it is super duper sharp and I can't crop it later (lose pixels). What is the best lens for this shot? I presume anything under 20mm or so will have too much distortion, yes? I also read somewhere to take 3 quick successive shots so if anyone blinks it is easy to clone in the eyes that are open? I thought that to be a good idea, esp for the large group!

Is there any advice or tips that can be thrown my way to help prepare for the shoot? Anything will be good. Shooting tips for a very large group? Posing tips? Camera setting tips?

Thanks for helping!!