Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Using lens cleaning cloths and fluid for eyeglasses, on camera lenses

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using lens cleaning cloths and fluid for eyeglasses, on camera lenses

Would it be safe to use the cloths and fluids that you get for cleaning eyeglasses, to clean camera lenses? The fluid I have says it is an "alcohol free AR formula".

Don't want to risk it unless I know it is safe.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It most likely is. Is it distilled water? does it have any ingredients written on the packaging.
    I think if it did have any nasty ingredients, it should say so. Therefore if it doesn't, it's most likely distilled water(or something similar).

I sometimes use Eclipse cleaning fluid(which has alcohol in it) for lenses with stubborn spottiness ... been doing that for years now.

I suspect that at some point in your future, you will probably need to clean your sensor from the dreaded bunnies.
    Prep up for that event sooner rather than later, and look into the Copperhill type cleaning kit .. basically a small paddle/spatula some pec pads(lots of them actually) and a bottle of Eclipse cleaning solution(ethanol).

Good for cleaning stained lenses(or filters) as long as they're glass. Be aware that some lenses may use plastic front lens elements. Probably not good if you use ethanol on a plastic surface.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as with any lens cleaning, inspect the lens for bits of dirt, sand etc first and try and get rid of them with a blower or similar. Rubbing a cloth across a lens with a grain of sand on it, is likely to scratch the lens surface. Most eye glass solutions are no different to those we use on camera lenses, so as AK says, just check on what the product may have in it, before use.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fairly cheap to buy the correct cleaning supplies for lenses ie Copperhill

That would be my suggestion.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I does not list ingredients, and has a strong, but pleasant odour to it, and also a slight soapy feel. It reminds me of the fluid used on industrial sites for cleaning safety glasses.

Don't think I'll risk it though, without an ingredient list.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better safe than sorry, WP. I don't clean my lenses at all unless they get my greasy finger marks on them (doesn't happen often than goodness). Then I use a Lens Pen (about $10 and works like a charm). I know some pro togs who NEVER clean their lenses but rely on the lens cap instead. I know some that just use their shirt tails to wipe off smears. The coating is pretty tough BUT it is still a coating and chemicals can wear it away quicker than anything. What's more, none of your average dirt specks will show in your images anyway, unlike dirt on your mirror or sensor. Hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    Thanks everyone. I does not list ingredients, and has a strong, but pleasant odour to it, and also a slight soapy feel. It reminds me of the fluid used on industrial sites for cleaning safety glasses.

Don't think I'll risk it though, without an ingredient list.
    I guessing you are only talking about a fluid. But just wanted to put it out there that some brands of safety glasses wiping cloths will sratch even the safety glasses.