Thread: Help - SD Card Says Need Formatting and Can't get photos off

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - SD Card Says Need Formatting and Can't get photos off

HELP - I've just returned from a photography weekend away - and my new 16GB memory card is saying it needs formatting when I put it in the computer and tired to remove the photos.

I have reinserted it back into my camera, and its saying the same thing, also tried another computer ... does anyone know how I can get my photos off.... I feel sick to the stomach at the thought of loosing about 600 photos.....

Thanks

Ann
    See more at www.annpinnockphotography.com.au
    Sony A7R, Zeiss FE55 1.8, Zeiss FE16-35mm 4.0, Sony 28-70mm, Metabones Nikon convertor, Nikkor ED 70-300mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tripod, Lee Seven5 Filters, PS, LR,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity Annie , Did you format it in your camera before using it ?

PS : The only reason I asked was it is usually the first thing to do

[top]1 – Format a new memory card as soon as you get it

Even if your memory card came “preformatted,” it’s still a good idea to format them again with your own camera. And, only format the card from the camera itself (and NOT when it’s inside a card reader that’s connected to your computer). This will make sure the memory card is using a file system the camera recognizes.
    Last edited by William; 22-07-2013 at 5:30pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William - I think in my excitement I forgot but it saved all my photos and I could view them on the camera ok.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieP View Post
    William - I think in my excitement I forgot but it saved all my photos and I could view them on the camera ok.
    That proves it indeed was using a recognisable file system. If you do decide to format a new SDcard, use the low level format, as otherwise it only rewrites the directory structure.

Unfortunately, it sounds like a failure has occurred.
    Last edited by Dazz1; 22-07-2013 at 5:48pm.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, That may be the problem, I always wondered why though , Annie there are heaps of Image retrieval options like this one , Maybe worth a try

http://www.cardrecovery.com/?rid=google&kid=cr0103

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD NEWS... Call me Inspector Clueso - I found a really great free data recovery program... it worked on an old SD card which I formatted .... so I bit the bullet and formatted my new card - I'm running the program now, and already it has recovered 70 photos and counting!!
    http://download.cnet.com/TestDisk-an...-10511775.html

Phew! But now I have learnt two things....

1 - As William said - Always Format a new card
    2 - Use the empty dual card slot for jpeg back up

Thanks for all your speedy responses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news Annie , Glad I could help, Thankfully I have'nt had that problem, I read years ago to format a new card in the camera , BTW , I download from the camera leaving the card in , I delete the images once in the Pooter , Then Format , Cause of what I do thats every day , Have'nt had a failed card or problem , Ever , Touch wood

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annie. For future reference - IGNORE THAT MESSAGE if you know your card has been working OK before and you haven't done much to it, like only saved pics on it.

I get that message OFTEN when I change from a WinXP to a Win 7 OS.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Annie. For future reference - IGNORE THAT MESSAGE if you know your card has been working OK before and you haven't done much to it, like only saved pics on it.

I get that message OFTEN when I change from a WinXP to a Win 7 OS.
    Am.
    Am, are you sure not not thinking of the (annoying) message that says it needs repairing? That one you can ignore. Not sure I've seen one about formatting except when it can't make any sense of the card at all.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    Am, are you sure not not thinking of the (annoying) message that says it needs repairing? That one you can ignore. Not sure I've seen one about formatting except when it can't make any sense of the card at all.
    My GRUMBlest apologies. I sure DO mean that one, Wets. Thanks for reminding me, as I haven't had it for ages.
    m.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes get the same message that Am is referring too.

It says something like this card needs to be formatted for it to work correctly or some such message ... I mainly see this on some of the cards I use in my Android devices and plug them directly into a card reader on the PC.

You can ignore as Am suggests, but if you do that too often the PC may suddenly not see any of the files on the card .. or the card itself.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N