Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Dell U2413

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dell U2413

Has anyone got this (relatively)new monitor from Dell, and if so what are your opinions on it for photographic work? Is it a good value screen for photography editing. Seems like one downer with this screen is that you cannot use any hardware calibration tool, it's been set to only use a particular model.
    Last edited by wideangle; 09-07-2013 at 12:34pm.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had this screen for a year now and love it. and i used a spyder calibration tool and it worked fine
    Canon 5D MKiii / Sony A7Rii / Canon 16-35mm f 4 L /Canon EF 24-70mm f-2.8 L USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM / SIGMA 50mm F14. ART

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    i have had this screen for a year now and love it. and i used a spyder calibration tool and it worked fine
    Interesting that you say it works with spyder calibration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure that you can use any colour calibration hardware.

However if you want to use the special dell software to access the monitors hardware calibration then you need to use the specific calibrator (x-rite display pro, I think). All other calibrators will just make software based corrections.

Paul
    Australian Nature Photography

Nikon D7000
    Nikkor 12-24, Nikkor 28-70/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.8, Tamron 60/2, Sigma 100-300/4, Sigma 180/3.5 macro, Nikkor 500/4, 1.4x TC, 1.7x TC

(Comments And Critique On My Images Most Welcome)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    Sounds like form what I have read that you can calibrate it via an ICC profile (software) with any calibration tool, but if you want to hardware calibrate you have to buy a particular calibration brand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup,

Not only a particular brand... but also a particular model.

I just got my 2713H and am about to calibrate it (via ICC profile) with my i1 Display 2. To get hardware calibration I'd need the i1 Display Pro *sigh*

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonUser View Post
    Yup,

Not only a particular brand... but also a particular model.

I just got my 2713H and am about to calibrate it (via ICC profile) with my i1 Display 2. To get hardware calibration I'd need the i1 Display Pro *sigh*
    Seems a shame to not be able to calibrate without the a particular calibrator. Is the 2713H the 27" model of the 24"? Interested to see what you think of it once you get it up and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the 27-inch one.

I have moved from a dual 22" screen setup to this monster. I've had it since last Friday and so far am very happy.

I was worried about moving from two screens (which I've had for the last 6 years) to a single one... but the resolution of the 27" screen is large enough that I don't miss the second screen at all. Since I had my dual setup as one horizontal and one vertical I am actually only loosing about 200px of total width across the whole area, and things like Photoshop and Lightroom are much nicer maximised on the single screen in my opinion. The dual screens were most useful for using Visual Studio and Researching for uni (Web + Word)... but two windows side by side on the bigger screen works out just fine.

As I mentioned, I haven't calibrated it yet, but they do come calibrated to sRGB and aRGB straight out of the box and they seem to match my prints VERY closely with zero adjustment apart from some brightness (default is waaay too bright). I will probably end up getting the i1 display pro to calibrate it properly.

Overall, I'm a very happy camper. Especially since I got it during the 30% off sale last week

Paul