User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

Thread: Is going grey worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is going grey worth it?

I'm looking into buying a Nikon 70-300 F2.8 vrii with 2x teleconverter.

If I went down the grey import route from a recommended importer I'd save about $270, a fair sum of money but still less than 10% of the cost.

If the lenses work without trouble then happy days. If I had any problems with them (small chance????) then I'd have the issues non Aus Nikon warranties.

Is going grey worth it?

Thoughts

Steve

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the answer to that is personal choice. Going grey is something that every one of us has the choice to do. Ultimately it is not something we can tell you exactly. You will find most have a mix of grey and local product, they pick and choose depending on the circumstances and product, for them, at the time of purchase.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the case of a lens I was looking at, grey is about 40% of the cost at most, that's at least 60% off - so definitely worth it. I heard a rumour at one store that Canon are starting to move prices around to cope with the grey market, but if that's the case, they haven't got it anywhere near right yet. Sounds like your Nikon lens is nearer the mark though.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Rick mentioned, a personal choice, which can be influenced by personal circumstance. No retailer in Mudgee wants to offer anywhere near a reasonable price for photographic gear (wonder who actually buys from them and why the stock the stuff).
    When I bought my camera I could have got a reasonable deal from a place in Sydney, but if by chance there was something wrong with it I had to pay for postage (or a tank of petrol) to get it back to them. Bought grey (for less than local) from B&H and if by chance there was something wrong with it, they offered free return post. Fine print.
    If you buy from the "recommended importer", check if they are an AP sponsor and link via AP when you order. Then a coupla cents goes back to running AP

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to add G.S.T. to the equation, for anything over $1000, that is being imported.
    Last edited by Mark L; 20-07-2013 at 10:46pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought everything grey from Hong Kong apart from my first two DSLRs, and I have no regrets what so ever and have never had a problem and never had to get anything repaired!! Definitely worth it IMO! But as Rick said it is a personal choice Three words about buying grey......research, research, research
    and more research just for good measure and watch the prices daily as they can change quite a bit from day to day....also watch delivery costs as some companies have really cheap prices then wack you with huge freight! Good luck with your decision
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven have I missed something or did you mean 70-200? I haven't been following prices recently but maybe the dive in the $AUD has pushed grey prices up a bit so grey has become less attractive than it was? As Mark mentioned, if you haven't factored GST into that 10% saving then buying grey might actually cost you more. (Note that GST applies to total cost, including shipping). In the past, although GST was applicable to purchases over $1000 it was often not collected - don't know if that has changed but there is no way of knowing beforehand (AFAIK) whether or not GST will be applied.

An alternative is 'local grey' - grey import but with a local shopfront. The only one I know is DDP, but there may be others. (DDP are at Crows Nest - I think there are AP threads about them if you want do a search).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil,
    Opps yes i ment 70-200 F2.8. The grey importer is one i've seen mentioned on the forum site "myCamera Focus" who seems to get strong recommendations and has a "price you see is the price you pay" approach and delivers from Perth. The retail pricing comes from a well known store in Sydney CBD.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=fillum;1163613]. In the past, although GST was applicable to purchases over $1000 it was often not collected - don't know if that has changed but there is no way of knowing beforehand (AFAIK) whether or not GST will be applied.

An alternative is 'local grey' - grey import but with a local shopfront. The only one I know is DDP, but there may be others. (DDP are at Crows Nest - I think there are AP threads about them if you want do a search).

Cheers.[/QU
    Another place to try that has all Australian stock not grey but good prices is RYDA.com they are an online business but have a shopfront in Sydney
    Might be worth a look.....I haven't bought anything from them in a few years though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me i would consider the 2nd hand value for the lens and how much it compares with the price of Grey imports. Usually, 2nd hand product does not come with warranty and if they work out to be very similar, might as well go with the grey market ones, these usually come with a minimum of 1 year warranty and you can sometimes add on additional warranty at point of sale.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supaxui View Post
    For me i would consider the 2nd hand value for the lens and how much it compares with the price of Grey imports. Usually, 2nd hand product does not come with warranty and if they work out to be very similar, might as well go with the grey market ones, these usually come with a minimum of 1 year warranty and you can sometimes add on additional warranty at point of sale.
    It's a good point. I have discovered people asking way more than the price of a new grey market version, for their secondhand equipment. Must a combo of prices falling, and lack of awareness of the market (and also ripoff prices at some retail establishments).

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usually, 2nd hand product does not come with warranty and if they work out to be very similar, might as well go with the grey market ones, these usually come with a minimum of 1 year warranty and you can sometimes add on additional warranty at point of sale.
    Is the price of extended warranty worth it? Why not save the extended warranty money and spend it on what you want to buy? With the quality control these days, 'tis rare if a problem happens outside the manufactures warranty period.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is going grey worth it?
    Dunno mate.

I've gone grey and nothing much has changed except my hair colour.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would go for local stock for lens worth more than 1k

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember that warranty is not insurance. Warranty protects you from 'manufacturing fault' and not much else. Most people would know if their was a fault in their gear within 12 months of purchase and this buying extra warranty is useless. You would be better off buying insurance to cover from theft, damage etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Remember that warranty is not insurance. Warranty protects you from 'manufacturing fault' and not much else. Most people would know if their was a fault in their gear within 12 months of purchase and this buying extra warranty is useless. You would be better off buying insurance to cover from theft, damage etc.
    Yes, but the key difference between local, grey imports and second hand lenses is the warranty. The warranty differs in period and location. Now I havnt got any prior experience with sending warranty back for grey imports so depending on the shop, you might need to send overseas for warranty. Thats the only downside i can think of.
    On a side note, I will not buy any lens that is known to have large sample differences from grey import, this is just because it will be a pain to send back and wait for another lens to be sent over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far my experience with grey has been that the product is cheaper and has been the correct product in working order and when it stuffs up, it's usually something that's not covered by warranty or I've been using it beyond the warranty duration
    so far my experience with buying locally is that the product is more expensive, has been the correct product in working order and when it stuffs up, it's usually something that's not covered by warranty or I've been using it beyond the warranty duration.

my experience : go grey!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used grey and can't speak high enough of the experiences. When I first started I bought local and was happy, then I discovered grey (through this site ) and have not looked back. Actually I wish I had someone to tell me that it was ok when I started.

Grey has enabled me to purchase equipment that would have been out of my price range otherwise.

Of course there are horror stories out there about people that have been conned and have lost money. However, I believe if you stick with trusted companies (that is where AP is great because you are able to hear from experience), it is well worth it.

Cheers
    Danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth noting Nikon lenses are covered by a worldwide warranty, where camera bodies are not.

I have (recently) had a lens (a 50mm f1.4 with focus issues) purchased from a grey importer repaired, under warranty, by the local Nikon service agent at no cost.