Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: UV Filter or Nikon Clear Neutral Filter/Lens protector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UV Filter or Nikon Clear Neutral Filter/Lens protector

Hi Guys,

looking to get either a UV filter or lens protector for my Nikkor 16-85mm lens, just wondering what the general consensus is around
    here in relation to these? I've read that UV filters have minimal effect on Digital Cameras but do serve as a good lens protector...?

I'm just wondering which you guys think would be best to get?

thanks.
    Luke.

5DMkII | Canon EF 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 50mm ƒ/1.4 USM| Canon TS-E 17mm ƒ/4L Tilt Shift
    CamRanger | Benro C357-n6 Manfrotto w/ 410 Junior Geared Head | Billingham Hadley Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been a lot of discussion around this. A lot of opinion says that for protection, UV or clear filters are not effective anyway, and that lens hoods can provide that if that's the only reason for getting them.

I'm sure you will get a lot of responses on this from those more experienced. My opinions only come from the threads on this topic as I stopped using a UV a while ago.
    Last edited by Granville; 13-08-2013 at 11:16am.
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Granville said above, there is a debate whether they are worth it.

I don't use any filters for protection, only for effect. The lens hood and just being careful is sufficient.

If you end up going down the UV filter route, at least purchase a top quality B+W or Hoya filter.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    Like Granville said above, there is a debate whether they are worth it.

I don't use any filters for protection, only for effect. The lens hood and just being careful is sufficient.

If you end up going down the UV filter route, at least purchase a top quality B+W or Hoya filter.
    Thanks for the replies... I was looking at either the Hoya HD UV or Pro1 Digital UV or the Nikon Neutral Clear Filter...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Filters for protection, here's a good read ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-of-UV-filters
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shops want to sell useless UV filters -- a lens hood (for protection) is much more effective
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's for protection against bumps and knocks .. the lens hood properly fitted is the best insurance against damage to the lens.

The argument for protective glass filters over the front of a lens does make sense in some conditions, where they may be heavily laden with atmospheric gunk(eg. windswept beach, or dusty bush, or whatever) .. but even in these situations .. there's no real evidence to support the filter actually helps.

Unless you plan on shooting in dirty environments regularly .. I reckon save your money on accessories that are more productive.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N