Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reading of personal messages...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reading of personal messages...

Well, I am wondering if anyone apart from myself, and the person I am sending the private message to, can read them???????

Last night I received a personal message but there were words bleeped out with ######. The person who wrote the message DIDN'T do the bleeping...... so who did???

The message was for me only, so it wouldn't offend me in the least as I was asking for the person to explain it to me via a personal message.

If others can see our private messages, for what ever reason, I feel that it is a breach of privacy and, presuming most wouldn't know this is happening, also it would be spying.

Can the mods please explain what has happened here???
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we have a word filter installed, no one read you message, but the site word filter will replace extreme swearing with ### anywhere across the site. No one needs to read your message to replace those words. So if you type the word starting with F or C in any message, in a thread or privately, it will be blocked out automatically (along with a list of other words of similar usage). No human involvement needed.

But as has been discussed in the past on the site and we have never said we cannot do so, and is in the site rules:

[29] Links or pointers to other websites and references to products and services offered by third parties are provided to you for convenience only and do not constitute an endorsement or approval by us of (a) the organisations that operate such websites; (b) the content, privacy policies or other terms of use on such websites; or (c) such third party products and services. We have no control or responsibility over websites or content maintained by other organisations, or for products and services offered by third parties, we do not assume any liability for your use of any of the foregoing, which use you acknowledge and agree shall be at your own risk.

Any data transmitted using the site software may be scanned for content, captured and viewed by a site administrator; this includes the personal messaging (PM)system. All the site rules apply to the PM system. Any member using the site for illegal purposes, or breaching the site rules via the PM system will/may be banned. The Personal Message (PM) system is called Personal only in that messages are not posted to the public forums

Any forum or website that has personal message systems, email systems, etc, the administrators can access any/all data sent received by members. If they tell you they cannot, then they are lying. If it is in the site databases, it can be read. On Ausphotography, the moderators cannot access the databases directly. Only Kym and myself have access to them. So yes we can read them and we have never said we cannot. Do we access the PM's? Rarely, and usually only if someone has reported a PM interaction between members, OR, members use certain phrases in PM's that trigger a report (ie sending software key generators to each other). I and the site can be held liable if members use the site to distribute pirate software information etc. We have not had a software based PM report for ages (probably years now).

So to answer your question, yes Kym and I can access your PM's. We have never hidden that fact. But, your message recently was not accessed and the swear words were automatically filtered out and replaced with ###. Do we access PM's, usually no, we have better things to do.
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-07-2013 at 6:48pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info, Rick.

The word was not the F word that most would think, and it may deem derogatory to some people, but it was in no way meant to be that way.....hence the pm to me telling me the word (curiosity on my part). It was actually a word used for a type of product found in butcher shops in England.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The #### type censoring is automatically generated. I think it works on a db system of known words, and even tho the word may not be offensive to us, it may be in another language/country/community or something.

I'm pretty sure it's a database of words downloaded for use by the admins, rather than a self generated database.
    It's the same censoring software used across the board on the site .. even in the mods menu, we get these sometimes annoying ###'s even tho the word used is harmless in many instances.

I vaguely remember some edits were made to the database to catch some of the more creative sidestepping attempts(for example adding a hyphen between each letter of some words) .. but if your word was pretty harmless and confusing as to why it got censored, you could try to type it again .. here! .. with hyphens, or underscores, or whatever, between each letter, and it should pass through.

Kym or Rick could describe it all in more detail .. well most likely anyone else could besides me .. I forget stuff like this.

But in saying that, I've had to add keyword blocking into my router's word based blocking/filtering feature, just to be sure the kids don't access stuff they really shouldn't be(at this stage).

- - - Updated - - -

Thereyago! Rick beat me to it, and now I'm going to be late(not that I care really .. but sh!t happens )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur.

It is not necessary to try and get the word written on here.....the moment and thread has passed....but I was just concerned.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you can send me more details about the word Monika. You can email it to me : rick@ausphotography.net.au and I can review whether it remains in the censor list. I could also reply by email with the full word censor list if you are interested.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a PG rated site Rick explained it well
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just happened to me in another thread.
    Had to change ##### house to brothel to get rid of the #####'s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love faggots - they are a very nice meatball type product and I have not seen them since I left the UK ....ok faggot passed the filter, what the hell were you trying to order in that butchers!!!
    Last edited by fess67; 18-07-2013 at 7:34pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I love faggots - they are a very nice meatball type product and I have not seen them since I left the UK ....ok faggot passed the filter, what the hell were you trying to order in that butchers!!!
    It did, cause Monika emailed the word to me and I removed it from the censor list. Cause I reckon if a member used it in a derogatory way they would soon be reported for it, and I have no doubt other members would jump on them for using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. The English language tends to meander around through the ages and some words we find acceptable our parents are horrified at and vice versa - it is how the current generation views the word and its usage. The obvious one is gay - our grandparents loved to go out and have a gay time - today it is a deregatory term for ignorant people.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Thanks for that. The English language tends to meander around through the ages and some words we find acceptable our parents are horrified at and vice versa - it is how the current generation views the word and its usage. The obvious one is gay - our grandparents loved to go out and have a gay time - today it is a deregatory term for ignorant people.
    agree, apparently the word nigg..a is now OK, but Nigg..er is still not. It is in the pronunciation of the A or ER on the end as to whether is is deemed offensive or a term of endearment
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-07-2013 at 7:57pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. I am sure the other person I was speaking to would be happy to know she can now use that word for the food!!

My husband actually asked how the icecream "Gaytime" was allowed. I said it was an old icecream and was prob made before that term came into effect. He didn't believe me. My boys have asked about that word too and I said it mean to be happy.....because it does!

My Dad also use to call other Italians 'Wogs' but said it was okay because he was one himself..... So, it also depends if you are one yourself and you use the term, what ever it may be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I was NOT swearing only talking about a meat product our local butcher used to make himself... All I was doing was getting involved with the forum and joining in and now all this has happened, making me look stupid...
    I would like to thank Ms Monny for putting this right for me as it was showing me as not a very nice person. I have now learnt there is another side to this word. Anyway this forum has now passed.
    Fess67 you can source them out in Oz, we have a butcher in Adelaide that does them... they are yummy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    agree, apparently the word nigg..a is now OK, but Nigg..er is still not. It is in the pronunciation of the A or ER on the end as to whether is is deemed offensive or a term of endearment

Only if said by someone of that ethnic origin Rick.

By the way, I thought a faggot was a burning ember or similar, but then again in a country that eats black pudding and spotted dick, it still well could be.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuoz View Post
    No I was NOT swearing only talking about a meat product our local butcher used to make himself... All I was doing was getting involved with the forum and joining in and now all this has happened, making me look stupid...
    I would like to thank Ms Monny for putting this right for me as it was showing me as not a very nice person. I have now learnt there is another side to this word. Anyway this forum has now passed.
    Fess67 you can source them out in Oz, we have a butcher in Adelaide that does them... they are yummy too.
    not sure how it made you look stupid. until you posted into this thread, no one even knew who sent the pm being discussed, except Monika.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except I do have my name on the original post Rick, and the content of the posts is all the same that is being discussed..
    for me, it is good to have a friend back me and ask questions in Monika.
    All of this for a humble meat product.!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuoz View Post
    except I do have my name on the original post Rick, and the content of the posts is all the same that is being discussed..
    for me, it is good to have a friend back me and ask questions in Monika.
    All of this for a humble meat product.!!!
    ummm. no. Read Monika's original post for this thread, she has not named who the PM interaction was with. The only person who has named you as the other party..is you! Even I did not know who the PM discussion was with (and I could have just read Monika's pm's to find out), until you posted that it was you.

And you don't need Monika to ask questions for you, you are free to ask them yourself. If you(or any other member) has any issues re the site, you can always email or PM me or a moderator, we are happy to discuss any issues directly with members at any time. That way it doesn't even become public and no one else even has to know about it, if you find it embarrasing. We are not big bad site administrators and moderators, whose only job is to ban spammers etc, most of our days are spent helping members out in a positive way. Even if some think otherwise. Most days we do no 'heavy' moderation stuff, we get on and enjoy the photography just like other members.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-07-2013 at 9:51am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Only if said by someone of that ethnic origin Rick.

By the way, I thought a faggot was a burning ember or similar, but then again in a country that eats black pudding and spotted dick, it still well could be.
    apparently not, recent articles coming out of the US state that using it with a A is ok for any ethnicity. In fact they have stated they don't care if someone from China says it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not talking now on Rosemarys behalf but I think I will clear this up......I think what Rosemary was saying is that in the original thread (posted by someone else in regards to a photo and she was discussing about the food) it turned into #### and it, in her eyes, made her look like she was swearing and it embarrassed her and made her feel silly.

I presume Rosemary knows she can contact you etc but I was the one that was concerned about the reading of private messages, hence I asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast