Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Finally solved a USB card reader problem

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally solved a USB card reader problem

I have been struggling with USB card readers since I switched to using RAW files. When trying to transfer large amounts (~4 to 8 GB) of image files from an SDCard in a reader, to my computer, it would get part of the way, and would give an error and disconnect the card/reader. I would have to remove it and plug it back in, then transfer the remaining files. I tried 2 different card readers, one purchased very recently. All of them USB2 (because that's all my computer has) and both cheap brands.

I can transfer the same files without error, by putting the card back in my camera, and plugging it into the USB port, but that's a bit slower. So, today I bought a newer cardreader. Not a big name brand - it's a Digitech, but it's a USB3 reader, so newer design, supports SDXC to 2TB etc etc., and still only cost $15.

Works perfectly!

So, looks like the older generation cheap readers don't fare too well when pushed hard. Thought I'd mention this one, in case someone is having trouble, or is just looking for a card reader at a good price. (am I allowed to post a link to the where I got it?)
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just download from the camera to Pooter, Have'nt had a problem in 7 yrs or so of Digital Photography , I personnaly dont like removing and replacing the Memory card in case of bent pins etc , I reformat after every download , in my case that is daily
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I just download from the camera to Pooter, Have'nt had a problem in 7 yrs or so of Digital Photography , I personnaly dont like removing and replacing the Memory card in case of bent pins etc , I reformat after every download , in my case that is daily
    I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. SDCards don't really have pins to bend, and I do worry about how loose mini USB connectors can get after a lot of use - not that I have ever had one fail, and also continual operation of the rubber flap on the camera that covers the usb connector.

Speed is definitely slower from the camera - and also, a small deficiency in the driver also prevents previewing thumbnails in Digikam when connected via the camera (in my situation - linux etc).

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone DID have a problem. It was a long thread. I hope they see this.
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, I think(I'm sure) it was ktoopi ... and has resolved the issue(I think again) with a new card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post

So, looks like the older generation cheap readers don't fare too well when pushed hard. Thought I'd mention this one, in case someone is having trouble, or is just looking for a card reader at a good price. (am I allowed to post a link to the where I got it?)
    Yeah, you have enough 'cred'(that is, not a spammer! ) now to post links.

Funny thing is that I have three old card readers that read most of my cards just fine and dandy(mostly .. not all).

I don't think it has anything to do with the older card reader just not faring too well when being pushed hard, it's just a matter of chip technology at the time of manufacture.

I have an internal case card reader that reads most cards just fine(albeit slowly) except that it just won't recognise one of my older cards, which unfortunately was my fastest card too. An old 8Gb card I used in my D300.
    This internally mounted case reader is part of a panel accessory with other paraphernalia which all work fine, just the CF slot doesn't read this 8G card, so I plugged in an older external USB reader(CF/SD only) and it has no problem reading data off the card(albeit at a slow rate).
    I looked for all manner of hardware fixes for the reader/accessory panel, including firmware and drivers, but found nothing .. so I just settled on the older(but still USB) ext USB reader .. until I got my USB3 reader too.
    With the USB3 reader, i also got a faster Lexar 32G card to suit the new camera as well, and (the part that annoys me) the newer(supposedly faster) 32G card works perfectly fine on the annoying face mounted panel accessory! Again, it's so slow in transferring the monster 75Mb files that I don't dare use it for large file transfers .. and I haven't tried pushing it all the way up to transferring a full 32G's worth of data. But after about 10 or 12G, I gave up .... not waiting 3 or more hours to confirm(or or deny) that the card reader works ... not interested as the USB3 reader is an immeasurable amount faster taking a minute or two to clear 8-10G of files .. as opposed to the 2 or 3 hours I once noticed it'd take for my test transfer.

I don't know .. is it the cards formatting(being SDHC/SDXC) which is apparently a different format to the older gen SD cards .. whereas CF hasn't changed it's formatting, just the memory controller type that is used.

I've been thinking of replacing the front accessory panel with one that has USB3 ports(plus some of the other accessories I like to have handy)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, I have a suspicion that it is a buffer/timing issue. As such it will be effected by the card speed, and also by whatever processes are running on the computer at the time.

The card reader, as I said, was Digitech brand, and I got it from Jaycar. I get about 30Mbps from it plugged into a USB2 port. It claims to be capable of 80 with a USB3 port, but it is fast enough for me as is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reading this with interest

- - - Updated - - -

....and my problem was managed with a USB 3 card reader
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is likely a separate issue but just wondering if you also have a new computer?
    Just sharing my experience that my older no-name card reader that worked flawlessly with my old laptop didn't work at all with my rMBP.
    Whilst researching for a new USB 3 card reader, I came across threads discussing the Lexar Pro dual slot USB 3 card reader as well as a few others that didn't work with rMBPs. Anyways, in Lexar's case that was solved with a firmware update and I did eventually buy that one and it works flawlessly with the firmware install.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    This is likely a separate issue but just wondering if you also have a new computer?
    Just sharing my experience that my older no-name card reader that worked flawlessly with my old laptop didn't work at all with my rMBP.
    Whilst researching for a new USB 3 card reader, I came across threads discussing the Lexar Pro dual slot USB 3 card reader as well as a few others that didn't work with rMBPs. Anyways, in Lexar's case that was solved with a firmware update and I did eventually buy that one and it works flawlessly with the firmware install.
    No, it's an older Gigabyte motherboard, but your experience also shows how different combinations of hardware/software can have unpredictable results. Everything just doesn't always work.