This info in the form of a photo, came up on my facebook feed from a friend (you may need to have Facebook to view it)
Just in case you can't view it, it basically shows two photos of a touristy ruins site, with and without tourists in the shot, and says basically that you can remove tourists (or other moving objects) from a photo by setting up the camera on a tripod, taking multiple shots every few seconds till you have about 15 images of the area, loading them all into Photoshop by choosing FILE > SCRIPTS > STATISTICS > "Median", and that it then produces a sort of "average" shot that removes anything from the series that keeps changing (the moving objects) and gives you a shot without those things in it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...70886161_n.jpg

I don't have a series of photos to test it with, but the feature file>scripts>statistics>median does exist as an option in my copy of PS.
It would of course depend on you getting enough shots to actually GET all the background in over the whole series of shots, if there was any part of the scene that was never free from tourists in any of the shots, it would probably make a mess of that part.

Can anyone confirm if it would work?