User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 32 to 64 upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32 to 64 upgrade

I am currently doing a clean install with XP PRo. including Srv. PKk,2 & doing Svc. Pk. 3 install.

I Would like to convert to 64 format and was wondering if I need to go to a later version to achieve this.
    Was hoping I wouldn't have to but think I might have no option but to.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you may have an 'old-ish' PC maybe. ie. how old is the mainboard, and can it take a lot more than about 3-4G of RAM.

If it can, then the upgrade to 64bit Windows can be a bonus in that you get access to more than 3Gb of RAM. But this really only has an observable effect if you have (say) 8Gb, or more, of RAM.
    If you can only fit up to 4gb of RAM .. which many WinXP era boards are limited too, then I don't think the mucking about is really worth it.

You don't need a later version of Windows to get 64Bit computing .. WinXP comes in 64bit version for ya.

Where 64bit windows can be a PITA is for older hardware that doesn't support 64bit versions of Windows.
    eg. I have an old Canon scanner that I can't run in compatibility mode, because I'm running Win64 .. it's due to a driver issue .. yet! .. I also have a very old piece of software for tuning my car, and it runs fine in compatibility mode even tho it's only a 32bit software requiring some serial-USB driver to connect to the car.

The scanner problem is not an issue, other than it would have given my kids a scanner to play with as they wished .. otherwise I have no real need for a scanner(personally) .. as long as you're aware of these sorts of hardware issues that can arise unexpectedly.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Arthur, I running an AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X 2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.08 GHz processor but only 2.75 of RAM but think I may have not Partitioned properly to allow for 64 to be available if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to do a clean install, the partitioning is irrelevant.

With a clean install, this usually assumes a total clean disk . .ie. formatting.

When formatting, just be sure to select a space allocation that is the size of your hard drive.

BUT! ..... if you only have 2.75Gb if RAM .. there is no advantage in installing WinXP64.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be increasing RAM if I go this way might as well try to get the most from the system as possible.

Also would look at a knew graphics card later.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with the motherboard manufacturer as to the limits of RAMability of the board.

No doubt the CPU will handle 64Tb's of RAM .. but the motherboard is usually the restriction and something to research up on.

if you're gunna spend a bit of cash .. look to get a new HDD(makes installing a lot easier with the added bonus that you don't have to format the old drive(yet).

If there is one or two bits of data on there that you really, really need to keep, but can't think of it just yet before re-installation of the OS .. then you can work your way through this issue over time.

Been there, done that and found that I'd deleted (for example) an old email from say 10 or more years ago that contained a installation code for some software I use every now and then ... but it's one that's needed on the next OS installation.

Then(with the new HDD) acquisition method, after say 6 months of non use of the data still on the old drive, you can format it and use it as a storage option .. or as a scratch disk ... etc.

if you do decide to go with another HDD, I can highly recommend the Seagate 3T barracuda, model number ST3000DM 001. Extremely fast drive which will give you a performance boost. Approximate cost: $140.
    if you're feeling more adventurous, a reasonably priced reasonably fast SSD will give you an even greater performance boost. Samsung 840Pro 128Gig SSD is fast and costs about $150ish.

That's where I'd be spending your money at the moment.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the M/board does support 64X 2. Had a spare sata drive only 160Gig + 2 others about 320Gig

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    ..... Had a spare sata drive only 160Gig + 2 others about 320Gig
    These older drives are what people usually(unknowingly) refer too when they say their PC feels very slow now.

The HDD, whilst not cheap.. but at the same time, not overly expensive .. will triple to quadruple your HDD data transfer rates.... I'd say it'll be more like quadruple actually, as my USB3 cased Segate transfers data like it's on fire!
    With the shackles of USB tethering, as opposed to internally connected .. it transfers data nearly 50% faster than my fastest internal drives .. which are not slow by HDD standards either , and a very huge leap in comparison to my 250G and 320G drives ..
    (I pulled my 160G drive apart as a subject for photography )

With those older drives, I'd suggest using them for other data backup and or OS imaging for quicker and easier OS installation in the future.

That is(what I do with older drives) is to use them for saving various other data to it .. emails, and useless webcam vids from 10 years ago .... and other paraphenalia data, not vital to me, but stuff I prefer to keep.
    And for OS installation, using the windows image creation tool, you make a backup image of your installed OS(with no compression) onto one of the older hdd's too ... after you have installed all the main software you like to use.
    Create the Windows image, and then later keep it updated if need be. I keep a separate hdd(I have many!) for each PC/lappie/tablet I have.

Anyhow, just some useless info that I thought could be useful to you over the short terms future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    Yes the M/board does support 64X 2......
    64X 2 is a CPU?(I'm guessing) .. but what about the upper limit of RAM?

What motherboard is it(brand and model)? This info will be listed in the specs on the website, if you have lost your instruction manual.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Only supports up to 4gig. So not to worry will stay as is for now.
    ASUS A8N-VM CSM