User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Anyone update to Ligthroom 5 from Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone update to Ligthroom 5 from Lightroom 4

Is there much difference between the two versions.
    I bought Lightroom 5 last week and knowing nothing about it have read on here that the Scott Kelby Books are the way to go.
    Not the quickest to catch what they are doing on Video though I have just had a look on their Learning Centre.
    Wondering if I should buy Scott Kelby LR4 book and start off on that or wait till the LR5 book comes out I am in no great hurry as I am busy learning other things.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mary Anne, not sure if you are aware of a web sit called D-Town TV which has a lot 10 - 15 min. video clips covering a large no. of topics including I think some PP. I just recently purchased a magazine called Australian Photography + Digit which give one series of instructions for B & W processing with Lightroom, so could be worth considering. I am also going to look into LR processing shortly so will be following this post closely myself.

Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just upgraded from 4 to 5,no real changes to how things work just some new tools like the radial filter and healing brush (both worth the upgrade alone).
    Check out Adobe's youtube channel,I find their video's pretty clear , concise and easy to follow.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mary Anne. I have just upgraded from 4 to 5 as well. I have Scott Kelly' s Lightroom book 3 and still use it. The extra features are well explained by the videos by marianne kost on the adobe web site. So I would be getting his book as it is so easy to follow and then just watching a couple of videos on the new features ..most of which are very easy to use. I love Lightroom as I find it very straight forward and logical. . The best part is that it is non destructive to your photos so you can play as much as you like while you learn. Have fun
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move, MA. LR5 is well worth the update. You might this video tutorial useful and, if you subscribe to his channel on YouTube, you will find others to help as well. I'd wait for the Scott Kelby book on LR5 if I were you. According to his blog, it's not too far away ... "any day now".

Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    Hi Mary Anne, not sure if you are aware of a web sit called D-Town TV which has a lot 10 - 15 min. video clips covering a large no. of topics including I think some PP. I just recently purchased a magazine called Australian Photography + Digit which give one series of instructions for B & W processing with Lightroom, so could be worth considering. I am also going to look into LR processing shortly so will be following this post closely myself.

Milton

Hello Milton and Thank You.. No I was not aware of that web site and I will have a look.
    I have just grabbed my copy of July Australian Photography + Digit and I see that on page 52 will now read that properly too.
    Because I read that magazine two weeks ago and did not have LR at the time it did not click, mine go back to 2008 best I look through them all when I have some time.

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    I just upgraded from 4 to 5,no real changes to how things work just some new tools like the radial filter and healing brush (both worth the upgrade alone).
    Check out Adobe's youtube channel,I find their video's pretty clear , concise and easy to follow.

Glenn
    Thanks Glen that's great and what I wanted to know and will order the Scott Kelby LR4 book from the Sponsor link up top.
    Will also check out the Adobe's youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    Hi Mary Anne. I have just upgraded from 4 to 5 as well. I have Scott Kelly' s Lightroom book 3 and still use it. The extra features are well explained by the videos by marianne kost on the adobe web site. So I would be getting his book as it is so easy to follow and then just watching a couple of videos on the new features ..most of which are very easy to use. I love Lightroom as I find it very straight forward and logical. . The best part is that it is non destructive to your photos so you can play as much as you like while you learn. Have fun
    Hello Sally Yes I am getting that book so I wont wait for the other one to come out. LR looks so confusing to me so much so I had to get into preferences and stop it from opening as soon as I put my CF Card in the card reader, staying with DPP for now till I learn more. And I will have a look at the Adobe Site also. Thanks for your Help.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Good move, MA. LR5 is well worth the update. You might this video tutorial useful and, if you subscribe to his channel on YouTube, you will find others to help as well. I'd wait for the Scott Kelby book on LR5 if I were you. According to his blog, it's not too far away ... "any day now".
    Lucky you put this on Waz as I was just going to order the LR4 book so I will wait, though I am off to order two others I want
    As I wrote I am in no hurry and Lightroom is new to me I am still using DPP which I am familiar with and Thanks for that video will watch more of it later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just bought LR 4 only because I was able to get it new for just under $90's but might look at getting upgrade, however I'm also needing 2 new IPS Monitors but as I'm now down to only 3 hours a day my wife isn't all that keen on me spending.

Now to try to do a new reinstall for LR $ so as to start on a clean slate so to speak

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes fair enough Milton I can understand in your circumstances and sorry to read that, a clean slate sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary Anne, I only started using LR4 in January, but upgraded to LR5 a week or so ago.

I didn't buy Kelby's book but preferred to subscribe to his online training with very good videos. Shared the subscription with one of my kids which cut the cost a bit.
    Last edited by Boo53; 13-07-2013 at 1:13am.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John. Thanks for that, I am not the best with Videos as I am getting slower, though I had a look at a lot of things on his website yesterday.
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 13-07-2013 at 10:26am. Reason: typo