Im starting this thread in the hope to generate some positive, healthy discussion and critical thinking about the future of our country, and to a greater extent, the world. Im not one to post up political rants and generally have avoided such discussions all my life. I haven't really taken a great interest in politics growing up. I'll admit that I have been quite apathetic and ignorant, seemingly thinking that politics didn't affect me. So long as I was bringing home a pay and had a roof over my head, I was pretty happy.

Driving home from work the other day, I heard the results of a survey on the voting youth of Australia and how many of them paid any interest to politics. A large percentage didn't- as they perceived the election issues/policies weren't relevant to them. A fellow went on to say that this disinterest was really a politicians best friend- as they were votes that they had a fair chance of securing without having to do any legwork.

So I wondered what the core issue was with me not paying any serious attention to politics and it came down to the fact that it was because I didnt understand how the system worked. I basically put it into the "too hard" basket.

I find it incredibly convenient that we are taught religion in school- but nothing about the Australian Constitution.
I have nothing against people who choose to follow a religion- but I think knowing our rights and the founding laws of our country are just as important. Why is this not taught at school? It's almost as if thinking for yourself is discouraged.
We are bombarded with mainstream media and there is so much crap on television these days, that mine now only sees use for the occasional movie or doco. I now see all the news programs as a comedy channel- because the quality and accuracy of journalism is so appalling that you cant take it seriously. And yet many do so, without questioning or really thinking about it.

More and more rules and regulations are put into place. You can't do this, can't do that. A new fee for this, another tax for that.
The Australian attitude of 'She'll be right" means that we sit back and take all this change that is blatantly not in our interests and feel powerless to do anything about it.

When I look at my choices this coming election I feel a little disheartened- and that no current party has Australia's best interests as priority. A little bit of George Orwell's 1984 comes to mind. I know some will discount this as just another loony rant- but really I'm just an average guy with an average job, getting a bit tired of the continual incompetence and corruption. Ill go put my tin foil hat on now and sit in the corner.