User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: The "value" of an image

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry The "value" of an image

A collegue asked me to remove watermarks from an image because "I know how to use Photoshop". I said it's not possible because I don't want to deal with it A) because I don't agree with destroying someones livelihood and B) it was a difficult one to remove anyway because it was over people in the image. Essentially the photo was for sale and they didn't want to pay to $40 for the image so took an iphone shot of the photo itself complete with watermarks to try and print

I know image theft happens a lot but I have never been asked to actually do it for someone before! Hard to explain to someone the value of an image when they can "get the cow for free" so to speak. Interestingly enough the comment was if it cost $20 or if the $40 was a framed image they would have bought it. They obviously see no value in the work, equipment, business expense behind taking that single image. No idea how any photographers still make money as a business any more.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Warus!
    Accolades, applause, and a pat on the back.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with the well done.
    The electronic age has played havoc with copyright. Music sharing is but one example.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done mate.

Ross
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Warus!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the value of anything is what you put on in. What one person sees a value in, someone else might think should be thrown on the tip. Unfortunately our society has a propensity to make the value of everything about what it might cost, or might sell for $$$. I too agree you did the right thing by refusing, but your colleague has simply shown how much they value things. Not really what the value of something is. Simply, they are cheap!

I don't think your experience shows anything really about the value of the particular image, rather it shows the values your colleague has. I wonder what they would have said if you said, yes I will edit it, it will cost you $60.00 for my time and effort. If that was an issue, then I would have asked them to work the day, at work, for no pay, and see what they said.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I will edit it, it will cost you $60.00 for my time and effort.
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

There is no way known that you could get me to remove someones watermark like that. Ever.
    There is still some Norwegian website out there that has a photo of mine with a badly removed watermark on it that refuses to acknowledge my emails. Even the web design company is ignoring my emails too.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    There is still some Norwegian website out there that has a photo of mine with a badly removed watermark on it that refuses to acknowledge my emails. Even the web design company is ignoring my emails too.
    Send evidence and a takedown notice to the hosting provider
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Warus.

Some people just think that they have a right to free stuff, and be damned the person that did the work and paid for the equipment and time.

I had a guy ask me to send him the hi-res version of his son (adult son playing basketball) so that he could get it framed as a gift to his grandmother.

So I sent him prices for just the print and the print framed (seriously I got the pricing straight off snap fish and added $5)

I haven't heard from him since. No doubt he just printed the low res version... people are just like that and that was to be my first ever sale :P
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS