Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewing Images on iPad and Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viewing Images on iPad and Tapatalk

I recently bought the Tapatalk app for my iPad, with the expectation that I would the see the full images mounted on this site, instead of having a section cut off from view on the RHS as happens with "direct" view of the website.

But this isn't the case. The RHS is still cut off but without the activity column also intruding as on the direct link.

Do I have to make some other setting for Tapatalk to work?

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you use two fingers on the iPad and swipe to see the other side of the image.

Try downloading the free version of forumrunner, as forumrunner is the native app ( created by the same people who create the site software) and see if that is any better for you.

Also not sure about iPads but with Android tablets you can make them look at a site 'as a desktop' and thus AP would appear like it does on your laptop/desktop computer. That is how I use my tablet know, cause I find I like it better.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, On Android, "Request set as desktop" by clicking on the top R/H corner icon thingy when loading AP
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    you use two fingers on the iPad and swipe to see the other side of the image.

Try downloading the free version of forumrunner, as forumrunner is the native app ( created by the same people who create the site software) and see if that is any better for you.

Also not sure about iPads but with Android tablets you can make them look at a site 'as a desktop' and thus AP would appear like it does on your laptop/desktop computer. That is how I use my tablet know, cause I find I like it better.
    Thanks Ricki,

Giving it the two fingers didn't work! Not sure why I have Tapatalk now - it seemed to get recommended on this site. However, forum runner seems to work beautifully, so thanks for the advice.

Ian

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Yep, On Android, "Request set as desktop" by clicking on the top R/H corner icon thingy when loading AP
    Thanks William,

I'll try that on my wife's Android later. I seem to have solved the iPad for now.

Ian

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brewster View Post
    Thanks Ricki,

Giving it the two fingers didn't work! Not sure why I have Tapatalk now - it seemed to get recommended on this site. However, forum runner seems to work beautifully, so thanks for the advice.

Ian
    tapatalk was the first of these apps to offer forum browsing so we took it on board. Then more recently, the software developers for vbulletin created forumrunner as a native app for forums running their software, so we offer that as well. I have not removed tapatalk cause members use it, and have paid for the app and thus I feel I have an obligation to them, to continue offering it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back again. If I view this post "http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?122232-tassie-midlands-sunset-2013" on the iPad OR on an Android tablet (as a Desktop item) I can only see about 60% from the LHS of the image. I can see it all on the PC or via Forum Runner. It is also cut off the same on the Ipad if I view the site directly ie. not via Tapatalk.

Any further comments Ricki or William (or Kym?)

Ian

P.S. I have now had a look at a couple of posts under Panoramas (Brisbane Lights and Auckland Lights) and get a similar result - about 20% is cropped off the RHS of each image. Seems to be something to do with aspect ratio maybe?

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Brewster; 09-07-2013 at 7:41pm. Reason: Additional info added

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you should be able to use two fingers, in a slight v shape and swipe across right to left to show the rest of the image

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should be able to use two fingers, in a slight v shape and swipe across right to left to show the rest of the image
    Ricki, all that does is contract the whole viewing frame, leaving plain grey margins. It has no effect on the image within the site black (or dark grey) bounds. I presume it works as you describe on your Android tablet? It doesn't do that on either our ipad or android Nexus 7.

Weird.

Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't work on my ipad either. This is the only forum I have found that this happens on so I tend to view stuff from my pc. Everything else seems to scale correctly even my own dodgy web page I created for fun. I can't even view this forum at all on my iphone for some reason, it just shows as a plain white page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experience the same issues as you. Sometimes the swipe can view the full image, 90% of the time it won't work. This is with the browsers set to 'request desktop site' across Android and iOS. Only forum it happens on for me as well.

Warus, if you request the desktop version it does actually open on my phone but once again, all images are cut in half with no way to see them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ricki, all that does is contract the whole viewing frame, leaving plain grey margins. It has no effect on the image within the site black (or dark grey) bounds. I presume it works as you describe on your Android tablet? It doesn't do that on either our ipad or android Nexus 7.

Weird.

Ian
    Yep, works on my android tablet and phone, and on my mum's android tablet as well. (so a mix of samsung and acer tablets). You do need to fingers to be over the image, not just anywhere on the screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try again tonight Rick when I get home but previous attempts just moves the whole screen off to the side as if you are scrolling to the next open app. Maybe I'm just un-co after all my 9 month old son taught me how to scroll through open apps, pull down a message window and split the keyboard

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, works on my android tablet and phone, and on my mum's android tablet as well. (so a mix of samsung and acer tablets). You do need to fingers to be over the image, not just anywhere on the screen.
    Ricki,

I've tried all possible finger moves, to no avail.

Ian

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ricki,

I've tried all possible finger moves, to no avail.

Ian
    So this happens in tapatalk, the tablet browser and have you tried forumrunner? very odd

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum Runner is OK, but no other ways.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forum Runner is OK, but no other ways.
    OK. I will raise it with tapatalk and see what we can do.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I will raise it with tapatalk and see what we can do.
    But it doesn't actually seem to be a Tapatalk problem? Tapatalk just seems to lead to the same presentation as I get with a direct connection to the site via a browser or android desktop item. ( I'm way out of my field of knowledge here!)

Ian

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But it doesn't actually seem to be a Tapatalk problem? Tapatalk just seems to lead to the same presentation as I get with a direct connection to the site via a browser or android desktop item. ( I'm way out of my field of knowledge here!)

Ian
    Sure, but as it works fine on my phone and tablet, I was going to ask them if their is a brand related issue that they know of. I was wondering if certain brands of tablets etc are setup differently by default and if they know of the issue and perhaps it is as simple as changing a setting in the tablet for some brands

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, but as it works fine on my phone and tablet, I was going to ask them if their is a brand related issue that they know of. I was wondering if certain brands of tablets etc are setup differently by default and if they know of the issue and perhaps it is as simple as changing a setting in the tablet for some brands
    Aha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast