Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: WIDE ANGLE ADVICE - EF 20mm f/2.8 USM

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WIDE ANGLE ADVICE - EF 20mm f/2.8 USM

I'm after a wide angle lens for night sky and hopefully aurora shots when we get to Tassie.

I was thinking of the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM to put on the 1DsMkII.

Has anyone used this lens - is it OK? I have the 17-40 zoom but it is f4 and I think the advantage of f2.8 would be useful
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have that lens but I do have the 16 - 35. The only question I would pose is do you think the 20mm will be wide enough? I am pretty new to landscapes and want to start doing star shots and I feel the 16mm is not quite wide enough on the 1DX.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No research on this lens Odille, but it's FF and f/1.8.
    Σ 20mm F1.8 EX DG ASP RF
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 09-07-2013 at 8:37am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look at the 14mm 2.8 myself ...

how bad is the ISO performance of the 1dsmk2? can't you just push it a stop and clean in post?
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I don't have that lens but I do have the 16 - 35. The only question I would pose is do you think the 20mm will be wide enough? I am pretty new to landscapes and want to start doing star shots and I feel the 16mm is not quite wide enough on the 1DX.
    I did have the 16-35 some time ago and went out of Canon but came back, and got the 17-40 as a good compromise lens. I may have to look at upgrading to one of those. I had the opportunity to purchase the 20mm for around the $250 and it seems like a good deal, I'd just like to know if anyone's used it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I'd look at the 14mm 2.8 myself ...

how bad is the ISO performance of the 1dsmk2? can't you just push it a stop and clean in post?
    I find it unacceptable over about 400ISo Greg. I think the 14mm is a bit too wide for aurora shots, I don't want the distortion. Ah, decisions, decisions!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, as you said it was for "night sky", I presumed mainly stars (yes, aurorae too), so you'd be looking for as much clear aperture as possible.
    Well, 11mm on that lens.
    Am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mornind Odille,

Here is a interesting write up on the 20mm F2.8 and in Bryan's words, you'd be better of with what you already have.

Hope this is of some help.

Maybe as a after though, you'd be able to hire a more specific lens whilst your in Tassie, I'm sure one of the local APer's in Tassie could guide you to a shop that could help.
    Last edited by Roosta; 09-07-2013 at 10:59am.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about your MF? (just thinking is all)

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Mornind Odille,

Here is a interesting write up on the 20mm F2.8 and in Bryan's words, you'd be better of with what you already have.

Hope this is of some help.

Maybe as a after though, you'd be able to hire a more specific lens whilst your in Tassie, I'm sure one of the local APer's in Tassie could guide you to a shop that could help.
    Yes, it has very mixed reviews with some liking it and others panning it. I am thinking now of a 16-35 (original) and then I'll sell my 17-40.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    what about your MF? (just thinking is all)
    Again, high ISO is not the strong forte of MFD. But I might experiment once we are down there, you never know. I have got a manual focus 80mm f1.9 - the fastest MF lens available! It will be interesting to see what it can do. And I have the 30mm f3.5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for long exposure night shots, it'd be perfect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have friends that use the Rokinon 14mm for stars with excellent results if you are willing to use manual focus

http://rokinon.com/product.php?id=12

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Warus;1160684]I have friends that use the Rokinon 14mm for stars with excellent results if you are willing to use manual focus
    /QUOTE]

For stars? You've taken star shots. MF would be always.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but it is MF only which may be of concern to some for other wide applications

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ameerat42;1160793]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    I have friends that use the Rokinon 14mm for stars with excellent results if you are willing to use manual focus
    /QUOTE]

For stars? You've taken star shots. MF would be always.
    Am.
    So it's manual focus only? I notice it has distance scales on the barrel though, makes it easier and I am used to those. I miss them on the auto lenses. Gives another option, certainly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have used the 20/2.8, a while ago on film cameras. It is a 'good' lens. I used it for general landscapes in daylight.

It is NOT the most suitable lens for your application.

If you want stars, WITHOUT trails? . . .
    then a faster lens will be more suitable: especially so for a camera with a top end of ISO 1600.

The 'best' (canon) lens for stars, without trails is the EF 24F/1.4L MkII USM, then the original version of the 24/1.4.

On a budget: the EF28/1.8 measures up well.

I have not used the Sigma lens linked to above.

If you want stars with trails, then I suggest you just use the 17 to 40 you already have.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rokinon 14mm. Best value for money. I've had & sold 17-40/16-35. The Rokinon complements my 24-70vII, for occasional wide end work. For the price I'm quite happy just to to have it in the bag-ranks with 50 f1.8 for bang for buck. Great for landscapes adequate for architecture. I was a freelance forensic photographer pre AF days so no problems there.

1DIII, 5DIII, 100 macro, 24-70vII, 70-200 f2.8vII, 300 f2.8 L IS, 500 f4 L IS, Rokinon 14mm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    Rokinon 14mm. Best value for money. I've had & sold 17-40/16-35. The Rokinon complements my 24-70vII, for occasional wide end work. For the price I'm quite happy just to to have it in the bag-ranks with 50 f1.8 for bang for buck. Great for landscapes adequate for architecture. I was a freelance forensic photographer pre AF days so no problems there.

Yes, it is going on the wishlist, the price is good and it should do the job for aurora and star trails. Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

1DIII, 5DIII, 100 macro, 24-70vII, 70-200 f2.8vII, 300 f2.8 L IS, 500 f4 L IS, Rokinon 14mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for sigma's new 24mm 1.4, if it's anything like their 35 1.4, it'll be worth the wait, the Samyang/rokinon 14mm is definitely a great lens for the money, and their 24 1.4 is also one to look at.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken the Canon 20mm f2.8 twice to Europe now – it's my go to lens for UWA shots (both indoor and outdoor). Indoor performance is sharp enough in my eyes – does vignette a bit wide open but is easily fixed in post. Focus is also quick with the USM motor. Distortion is also reasonably well controlled (again can be fixed in post).
    Hope this helps!