User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Any experience with the Nikkor 18-35G 3.5 - 4.5?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any experience with the Nikkor 18-35G 3.5 - 4.5?

Hi all, Im looking at purchasing the Nikkor 18-35 G (not The inferior D) for my new landscape lens and seems to get good reviews and for a $850 lens(my budget). Anyone using this and how are they finding it? It seems to suit my need as it will take my ND filters and at this stage my work is done between f5.6 to 11.
    The other option was the nikkor 28mm 1.8 which is slightly sharper but went for zoom range as I thought I would need it more.
    cheers
    Glenn

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    how good are you at manually focusing? Auto-Focus works with the aperture wide open, and thus when you add an ND filter to this lens, you might find in dawn/dusk light that the camera hunts for focus and will not lock.

Having said that, 18mm is nice an wide on a crop-sensor body, but I used to use my Sigma 10-20 a lot more than my 17-35, for those wide sweeping land/sea scape shots. If you are just seeking this for land/sea scapes, do not discount the siggy 10-20 if you use a crop sensor camera.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the price for this lens is a bit steep for what amounts to a kit lens!

test results from around the net look good, but that price was a sticking point for me .. so it's 'off my list' of wide angles lenses to chase.

16-35VR, whilst it's a bit more expensive, becomes the better option due to the VR feature if that's ever needed .. plus the fact that it's a bit wider at the wide end.

I reckon the 18-35G should be more in the $500 range .. $600 max!

One other option could also be the Tokina 17-35/4 which is an Fx lens too.

For me, I'm going to bite the bullet and wait till the funds are available for the more expensive 16-35 .. simply for the VR.

BTW! .. the 18-35G is currently available at Vanbar(here in Melb) for less than $800
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look at photozones site at the Tokina 12-24 AT-X f/4. not sure if it's in the same category but gets a good review.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I should of stated that I have decided to purchase FX lenses as Im looking at purchasing a d600 in 12 to 18 months and didn't want to spend money on dx lenses and my 18-55mm craped it self. My issue now is I bought 77mm ND filter and step up rings but now finding I should of bought 82mm nd filters I did look at the tokina 17-35 and gets an OK review but it has 82mm thread BUT now looking at my wish list, the Tamron 24-70 which has a 82mm thread is on it also, though I don't think I would use the filters on it as much. Think I will take filters out of the equation now, I havnt spent a lot of dollars on them.
    Thanks aurtherking for mentioning that store Vanbar!! They have very competitive prices with full local warranty and the 18-35 is on special for $769!

Rick, thanks for that info, will look into more. I usually auto focus with filter off then place filter on using tripod.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn, FYI, this lens recently figured in a thread here. Note the constant f/1.8 and its $715 price.

Forget it. I just read your fine print where you want a FF lens. Oh well, there's the Σ12-24 that Rick swears by (sometimes).
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-07-2013 at 3:23pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Glenn, FYI, this lens recently figured in a thread here. Note the constant f/1.8 and its $715 price.

Forget it. I just read your fine print where you want a FF lens. Oh well, there's the Σ12-24 that Rick swears by (sometimes).
    Am.
    That sigma lens looks awesome almost making me upgrade to the 7100 instead and get that with the tokina 11-16 for my wide angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this helps but I recently bought the d600 and the the 16-35 VR and took this combination to England. I was extremely happy with both the camera and the lens as so many places will not allow either a tripod or flash, so VR came in very handy as I was able to take shots where ever I went. A more expensive lens but works beautifully on the 600. Good luck with your decision..it is never easy
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    I don't know if this helps but I recently bought the d600 and the the 16-35 VR and took this combination to England. I was extremely happy with both the camera and the lens as so many places will not allow either a tripod or flash, so VR came in very handy as I was able to take shots where ever I went. A more expensive lens but works beautifully on the 600. Good luck with your decision..it is never easy
    Yes would love the 16-35 vr but yes it came down to the dollars and my need of a fast/vr wide lens. Kick myself later Im sure.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    Yes would love the 16-35 vr but yes it came down to the dollars and my need of a fast/vr wide lens. Kick myself later Im sure.
    After writing this, especially the last 5 words got me thinking, maybe in the back of my mind I do want/need 16-35vr lens and maybe Im being impatient. So many lenses to buy with so little money.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't help my self, received my 18-35G in the mail today