Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 70D Announced

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07...etection#press

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d

What do we think?

Interesting focusing system, and the live view improvements are interesting. I thought they would appeal more to the upgrading from point and shoot crowd.
    I'm Sam.

D810, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 16-35 f/4, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Sirui W-2204 Tripod w/ K-20x ballhead. Heliopan and Hoya filters.

My photos: Instagram | 500px | Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    not sure about the upgrade from P&S crowd. That would generally be the xxxD models, the xxD models are aimed at the upper level enthusiast, so more likely to be aimed at xxxD owners and those wanting to upgrade from older xxD like the 20D, 30D, 40D etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I mean - enhancing the live view experience seems to be aimed at video shooters and the upgrading crowd, who would prefer to use the screen than the viewfinder. That's why it's strange that they'd upgrade the LV in an upper level APS-C DSLR. It seems to go hand-in-hand with the new focusing system.

Early thoughts seem to be that the focus works a lot better overall, especially in low light and for tracking moving subjects in video. Look forward to seeing some testing.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AF has big implications for video shooters but perhaps even bigger implications for Canon mirrorless down the track.
    This is one of the main hurdles separating prosumer mirrorless vs pro DSLR - AF tracking. I'd be very keen to see how the 70D performs when it's field reviewed.
    Great step in the right direction IMO.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at getting one. But I am curious about other specs/features about it. Like does it have a 100% view finder? Does the focusing system work on 3rd party lenses, does the new focusing system make any difference on focusing for still images etc. Unless there's a major issue that appears for anything like that I think I would still get it. I just want to know more about it. Can't wait for an in depth review from someone who has experience reviewing. (not some muppet on youtube.)

Edit In my mind Canon seem to be making great developments for video in their SLR's but that seems to be taking the focus away from stills. What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Redback200; 03-07-2013 at 10:08am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it shows definite improvements from the 60D that it replaces.
    Personally, I use video every now and again, and I think the new live0view focussing system sounds great and seems to work well from the couple of short hands-on experiences I've read about.
    I am interested to see how the new sensor works too and it's image quality.
    The built-in Wi-Fi and touchscreen are also big upgrades.

Now we will wait to see what the new 7D offers.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redback200 View Post
    I'm looking at getting one. But I am curious about other specs/features about it. Like does it have a 100% view finder? Does the focusing system work on 3rd party lenses, does the new focusing system make any difference on focusing for still images etc. Unless there's a major issue that appears for anything like that I think I would still get it. I just want to know more about it. Can't wait for an in depth review from someone who has experience reviewing. (not some muppet on youtube.)

Edit In my mind Canon seem to be making great developments for video in their SLR's but that seems to be taking the focus away from stills. What does everyone else think?
    Pretty Sure I saw somewhere that the viewfinder is not 100%. 95 or 98 only I think

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO all the video developments from all manufacturers (not just Canon) do represent an opportunity cost to stills development.
    But fortunately some of these developments will hopefully end up benefiting stills photography in the longer run.

With this on-sensor PDAF advancement from Canon, I can imagine it would be a matter of time before EVFs get incorporated into pro DSLRs, although I don't think it would eliminate the OVF. It might be done perhaps as a switch that would toggle between OVF and EVF. By switching to EVF, you eliminate one of the mechanical barriers (the flipping mirror) and eventually with global electronic shutters, you might be able to eliminate the other mechanical barrier (the shutter). So this could be very exciting for sports/wildlife shooters.
    If the bandwidth gets big enough, we might even see full resolution at video-like frame rates (24/30/60fps) whilst maintaining full PD AF.
    While none of these aid my style of photography, I alluded to the implications on mirrorless cameras (including P&S) that could perform as competently as today's pro DSLRs. That to me is quite exciting.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my mind Canon seem to be making great developments for video in their SLR's but that seems to be taking the focus away from stills. What does everyone else think?
    I'm inclined the think that merging the two is a reasonably positive pathway for SLRs, simply because it is now possible to do so without a huge compromise having to be made. Personally, I love that capacity of newer cameras. Once, we had to take two cameras (video and still) plus their associated peripherals whenever we went away. Now, for half the trouble, you get both in one. This means that the range of memories is greater and broader.
    Probably not what the purists want, but there will always be that more costly alternative for those who are disinclined to go down the dual purpose road.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on paper it looks great and I'm sure it will perform just fine but the sample images I saw leave lots of room in regard to the IQ but this are early stages and we may find some better samples later on, I love the ergonomics of the 60D and now 70D but n the end IQ is what makes it or breaks it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I'd wait for the 7DII.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the dual pixel is very interesting, can't wait to try it and see how it actually works. and they have 19 AF points on this new camera which is a major upgrade from the 9 AF points on 60D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my perspective, this looks like a great camera. I was looking at getting a 7D, which would be as much still camera as I would ever need. The 70D seems to have all the features of the 7D, plus great video features thrown in. For the enthusiast market, this looks like a winner - although like others I would like to see a full review when it's released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious on this but does anyone have any experience with the new STM type lenses? The kit lenses for this are the new STM type and I do wonder how they perform.

Also isn't the STM part of advancement of video capabilities in DSLR?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is actually a step up from the 7D, which is a good thing as the 7Dmk2 hopefully will be awesome!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pobbs View Post
    Meh, I'd wait for the 7DII.
    I'm curious about your comment. Why are you going to wait for the 7DII? What do you think that it will have that the 70D doesn't? If Canon are serious about making their levels of branding different from it's other then it should be better than the 70D probably new AF, better FPS and possibly new sensor (but given the past maybe not) But looking at this camera it is basically a 7D with a slightly gimped frame rate. and better video abilities. For the stage that I am at and what I want in a camera I don't think I need anything more. 100% view finder would be nice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    serious question from a newbie... would there be any reason to purchase the 7D over the 70D? it looks like the 70D will be $300-$400 more expensive,
    but in what circumstances would the 7D be chosen over the 70D?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7D has been around for a few years now, so the price is basically at the run-out stage and the 70D is not yet released, but its price will come down in a few months.
    The main advantage of the 7D over the 70D is more FPS, due to using dual Digic 4 processors, and an all metal body (good and bad).

However, the Digic 5+ processor in the 70D is excellent, especially for high ISO use and low noise.
    It is also used in my 5D3, and is a superb processor, and very fast too at processing shots from a fast burst.

I personally would buy a 70D over a 7D, at this stage, until the 7D MkII comes out and then make a reasonable comparison.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you going to wait for the 7DII? What do you think that it will have that the 70D doesn't?
    Actual specs remain to be seen, but as a reasonable guess:
    • Real metal body (stands up to hard use much better)
    • Bigger, brighter viewfinder with close to 100% coverage
    • Better AF system (virtually certain)
    • Better exposure metering (probably)
    • Some other features ('cause they always need something to say about the new model - but they might not be anything very important)

You'd think that the sensor would be the same or a slight variation. Canon don't seem to mind sharing sensors between models, but equally are perfectly prepared to tool up for a different sensor if it strikes them as a good idea, even it it's almost identical to the existing one.

Me, I'l love them to do the obvious thing and provide the 7D II with a unique and very, very desirable feature: an APS-H sensor. But they won't.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APS-H sensor on 7D2 would be awesome - I'd buy one.

The 70D new AF system sounds interesting. Not sure why they keep chasing more and more megapixels...
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast