User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, look! I've been looking and looking, but...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, look! I've been looking and looking, but...

(OK, only in local camera stores) but I'm yet to find a suitable (well, I thought backpack-type) camera bag.

Here's what I'm looking for to replace my 1980s-style, Tristar-brand camera "schoolport" for travelling, and a soft day-pack bag for hiking:

I think a backpack...
    It has to be able to take a DSLR with a Σ50-500 telephoto lens attached...
    Have compartments for a 2X converter and another lens (I don't take that many with me)...
    Be cabin-luggage compatible...

And, since it will become the main and serious bag for transport AND hiking it must also:
    be big enough to also take a netbook computer AND 2 pairs of socks and the same in unmentionables.

Nothing I've seen so far has been good enough. Yes, you pay the dough - it's "camera-gear" after all - but you only get a compromise.

Ta, Am(getting anxious!).

PS: Can't somebody say: "Yes, get a such-and-such..."
    PS again: I really thought it would be easier than this.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 29-06-2013 at 10:55am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you advise as what you have found that wont work?

Some suggestions - I have a Lowepro 300 pro runner, worked a treat in NZ. Also the new Lowepro pro trekker are suppose to be a great bag.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/pro-trekker-400-aw
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will either of these work?

http://www.guragear.com/bataflae-18l/

http://www.guragear.com/kiboko-22l/

I use to own the larger kiboko but was too big for my needs and lacked a laptop compartment.
    These two backpacks do have laptop compartments but are smaller. The smaller bataflae 18L can only do a maximum of a DSLR and 70-200 attached.
    I'm not sure how big the 50-500 is in comparison.
    The Kiboko 22L is larger but if that's still not big enough, the larger Bataflae and Kibokos are very spacious and yet airline cabin luggage ok but lacks laptop compartments.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh when I said I use to own the larger kiboko I meant the 30L one, not the 22L that I linked.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Computrekker??
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Can you advise as what you have found that wont work?

Some suggestions - I have a Lowepro 300 pro runner, worked a treat in NZ. Also the new Lowepro pro trekker are suppose to be a great bag.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/pro-trekker-400-aw
    Can't remember the exact ones, but a couple of Lowepros and a couple of Tatas. Will now look at what you, Swifty and Epoc have suggested.
    Ta, Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, be a good lad and duck over to Gladesville to site advertiser Digital Camera Gear and have a look at their range of Vanguard bags.

From what I have seen in the past the Vanguard bags are of the same standard as the usual suspects out there ( AK83 has one from memory ) and come out of probably the same Chinese / Vietnamese factories as lowepro, think tank and Tamrac etc but don't cost as much.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Tell you what, Andrew, I like what I see there, both features AND price. Come to think of it, the prices are also
    a feature. Yes, and in this weather I will DUCK over there poste haste. OK, it'll have to be Monday.
    Ta for that.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am

I don't have one of these bags myself (yet) but I bought a Lowepro flipside 300 for my eldest son about a year ago for him to use exactly as you've mentioned. It easily fitted my a65 with a 120-400 siggy attached and had plenty of room for jocks and socks , etc: He's taken to europe 2 or three times since, all for work and as he's a software engineer a laptop was encluded.

One of the reasons I bought that model for him is that the opening is against your back when you're wearing it. You have to take any pack off to access it so opening on the outside or against your back makes no difference in that respect, but against your back makes it more secure when wearing as no-one can nick things simply by undoing your zips.

Google provides these photos
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=l...gdii=_&imgrc=_

- - - Updated - - -

Am

I don't have one of these bags myself (yet) but I bought a Lowepro flipside 300 for my eldest son about a year ago for him to use exactly as you've mentioned. It easily fitted my a65 with a 120-400 siggy attached and had plenty of room for jocks and socks , etc: He's taken it to Europe 2 or three times since, all for work and as he's a software engineer a laptop was encluded.

One of the reasons I bought that model for him is that the opening is against your back when you're wearing it. You have to take any pack off to access it so opening on the outside or against your back makes no difference in that respect, but against your back makes it more secure when wearing as no-one can nick things simply by undoing your zips.

Google provides these photos
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lowepro+flipside+300&client=firefox-a&hs=Gq9&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q3DOUYuGFsmziQeK54CIBg&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1445&bih=883#facrc=0%3Blowepro%20flipside%20400&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta John. That looks good too.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 29-06-2013 at 6:01pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, check out F Stop bags, they are US based but I've got one of their Guru's and it's a great bag.

Their Mountain series would fit the bill of your requirements and then some.
    Last edited by mikec; 01-07-2013 at 2:23pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Am, be a good lad and duck over to Gladesville to site advertiser Digital Camera Gear and have a look at their range of Vanguard bags.

From what I have seen in the past the Vanguard bags are of the same standard as the usual suspects out there ( AK83 has one from memory ) and come out of probably the same Chinese / Vietnamese factories as lowepro, think tank and Tamrac etc but don't cost as much.
    OK, so now I've been there and done that, and can report that I saw a Vanguard for $138 and a Lowepro for $163. And I came away with more pros and cons...

The Vanguard was nice and roomy and had zipped compartments here and there. (I was thinking about my socks.)
    But, its main camera access was from a side panel. OK, I could live with that.

The Lowepro was mostly a single zipped compartment with lots of velcro dividers that could be arranged to suit one's gear. Its laptop storage
    facility was a bit more ho-hum than the Vanguard's, and my socks were going to find it hard to get a look-in.

But I will decide between these two. All the others - though some were "heavily discounted" - cost upwards of $250, and typically $300s.
    They also looked LARGE-LARGE.

BOTH bags looked good and equal in terms of material, stitching, padding, zippage and strappage.

So there I am.
    Am(still there, or maybe a bit closer).
    Last edited by ameerat42; 04-07-2013 at 1:26pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know what you decide on AM, and the main points as to why please. Could make for a good product review in the appropriate forum.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Let us know what you decide on AM, and the main points as to why please. Could make for a good product review in the appropriate forum.
    UCH! Now yer twisting my arm...

Well, see what I can do.
    Am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta hakka, but my budget is about an entry level bag, somewhere around the $150 mark.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Epoch said.

The lowpro computrekker is the ideal bag for your requirements (and mine)

It's got a good interior that you can setup how you want, can carry large lenses and a laptop up to 17 inches

I manage to fit into mine:
    sigma 10-20
    sigma 50 1.4
    sigma 70-200 2.8
    Tamron 17-50 2.8
    2x bodies (one without a lens the other on the 70-200)
    chargers x2
    filters in hardcases x 4
    flash transmitters and miscelaneous cleaning equipment
    laptop
    and strap a tripod on the outside.

It has a half decent hip suspension system and disperses the weight over your hips/shoulders well without being overly hot on your back.

oh, and it has a rain cover as well.

I usually use this as my lugging bag and then pack a day bag (flipside 200) when i get there depending upon what I'm doing on the day.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta. It looks suspiciously like the one I saw today, but that one was going for $163. I wonder if it could be the same bag???
    I'll call him back tomorrow and ask him.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta hakka, but my budget is about an entry level bag, somewhere around the $150 mark.
    Am.
    In that case look at the lowepro flipside 400aw.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for about 18 months now and found it to be the best bag I have had and no plans to replace it. Don plenty of domestic fly time with it and never any problems, fits in overhead just fine.

Always packed with Canon 50D Gripped, 70-200 L f/4, 24-105 L, Canon 10-22 UWA, 1 x 430 flash, 1 x 580 flash, a set of filter and holder, 4 x Yougnu flash triggers, remove control for remote exposures and 3 plastic diffusers for the 580 plus some lens cloths, 6 CF mem cards, lens pen. All fits pretty neat and the backpack is very comfotable. Have worn it for an all day shoot and all good.

In the front compartment I will have maybe my wallet, iPhone pen small note book etc. Often have a plastic bag with some fruit or a sandwich stuffed in there too. That is about all that will fit within reason I think. The best thing I have found with this bag is it opens from the back which means when you put the bag down to access your gear you don't end up with dirt etc on the padding of the back pack when you put it back on.

It is without a dount it is the best bag I have had out of the 4 previous which I changed within 6 months until I good the current.

I think the next size up can take a notebook but not sure it is plane cabin friendly.

Oh, I neglected to mention I also have the battery charge unit in the bag also.
    Last edited by mikew09; 04-07-2013 at 7:58pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast