Hello. I'm new to the forum I love photography and would like to one day do it as a profession! I have wanted to do a course for a while but with a growing family it seems like i'm never going to be able to afford the thousands of dollars that It costs to enrol. For this reason I have decided that i'd try to learn as much as possible outside of the classroom. But where to begin? I have a Nikon digital camera, although it is not an SLR, I am saving up for one I have basic camera skills, I love taking photos regularly of my family and locations we go to. I try to take good professional looking shots but am not too familiar with the rules. I'm thinking that I should get some books to start off with to learn some rules and techniques and then try putting it to practice. Would this be the best place to start? What books would you recommend? I am in no rush with this. My kiddies are still young so I wouldn't be looking at starting a business for a few years yet. I want to spend the next few years sucking in as much information and practice as possible! Any advice would be appreciated?