User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: New Tokina Lens Announced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tokina Lens Announced

Tokina recently announced a new lens for DX cameras. Tokina 12-28mm f/4.0 AT-X Pro DX

I think the 12-28 range is pretty good for DX users. Some stores (US) are posting that they will be available tomorrow onward and pre-orders are already available. I am definitely considering purchasing this lens shortly as I do need a wide-angle lens.

Thought I'd post and see what AP members think of this lens based on whatever little is available on the net.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The image samples available at http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/tokina/atx12-28.html#w06 show promise ( the full size jpegs can be downloaded by clicking the box next to the focal length and aperture figures under the pictures ) and if the build of that lens is in line with past and present offerings from them it should be a good unit.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tokina were well regarded for both their 11-16/2.8 and the 12-24/4 for Dx, and this seems to be an update on the 12-24/4 lens.

The old one was screw driven so an update was imminent, I suppose, to cater to the motorless bodies. If they've updated the optics in any way(I think Ca was a bit of an issue) then it should be a winner... and the samples look good anyhow.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always nice to see another Tokina lens model released. Not the one I'm waiting for, but I'm sure this will be up to their usual standard. (Still waiting for the Tokina 14-24/4 DX I dream about! Don't care if its rectilinear or fisheye - hell, if they do both I'll buy both!) Meanwhile, this looks like another nice product for Tokina fans.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ...... (Still waiting for the Tokina 14-24/4 DX I dream about! Don't care if its rectilinear or fisheye - hell, if they do both I'll buy both!) Meanwhile, this looks like another nice product for Tokina fans.
    DX??

FX? .. maybe?

Tokina use a Nikonese lingo for their lens lineup, DX = APS-C, FX = 135 format.

if you're waiting for a 14-24/4 DX, they already have that, but 2 mm wider with the 12-24/4 DX lens, which has recently be superseded by the lens mentioned in this thread, the 12-28/4 DX.

But! If you're waiting for a 14-24/4 FX from Tokina, it may be a long while for it to manifest, as their 16-28/2.8 is only just a new lens to market .. so it's unlikely that they'll be producing any lens to rival this one for a while yet.
    They also have their 17-35/4 which is only a recent lens too(about a year or so).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Doh! I know that, slip of the brain. I meant FX of course.