User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherique IF Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Aspherique IF Nikon

I'm thinking of giving this lens a crack. It seems for the $300 you pay, it is one hell of a bargain. I want it purely for portraiture. I realise its manual focus only and am quite keen to give this ago as all my other lenses are AF. It will be mostly used on my D700. Anyone here have this lens? Pros, cons, happy, unhappy? Any comments appreciated except ones like buy the Nikon G version. I simply don't have $2 large sitting around doing nothing
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you do get one, I'd recommend that you make sure it's the electronically linked version, not the earlier cheaper non CPU type.
    They go under various brand names, like Bower, or Rokinon .. all the same thing.

I was interested in such a lens until Sigma introduced their idea of an 85/1.4 lens a while back.
    they can now be had for between $700-800 and I think the SWM focusing is worth the extra $400 or so.

If you do get one, let us know how it performs.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur. I'm aware I need the one with the chip to confirm focus. Well check with the supplier before I place the order. It's not set in stone that I'll buy one, I want to research it a bit more 1st. I'll checkout pricing on the Siggy version as well now that you mention it.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    Pros, cons,
    Pros = very good optical quality and fairly inexpensive.

Cons = the very obvious manual focus which you will probably yearn for under some circumstances and it is not far enough cheaper than a great Nikon lens to make it a true bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    Any comments appreciated except ones like buy the Nikon G version. I simply don't have $2 large sitting around doing nothing
    The splendid AFS 85mm F/1.8 is nearly the same price which is why the Samyang is not such a bargain ----

if you really want F/1.4 the AFD 85mm is not that expensive, or at least a helluva lot cheaper than the AFS version.

I have the AFD and love it but for all intents and purposes the AFS F/1.8 would be my pick of the crop if I was looking for a portrait lens tomorrow.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Andrew. You've certainly thrown a spanner in the works with the 1.8G.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Focus confirmation works even if the lens is fully manual.

but FWIW, the cpu is not really for the AF confirmation. For a shallow DOF lens, which is basically this kind of lens's main use, the focus confirmation is actually quite useless.

CPU helps for more accurate metering.
    If you only use matrix, then you may (or may not) notice the differences in exposure from shot to shot.... but spot metering doesn't work well with non CPU lenses.

- - - Updated - - -

Focus confirmation works even if the lens is fully manual.

but FWIW, the cpu is not really for the AF confirmation. For a shallow DOF lens, which is basically this kind of lens's main use, the focus confirmation is actually quite useless.

CPU helps for more accurate metering.
    If you only use matrix, then you may (or may not) notice the differences in exposure from shot to shot.... but spot metering doesn't work well with non CPU lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this thread. I actually own one of these lenses in F mount. Ironically, I bought it after I'd sold off all my digital Nikon bodies. I use it with an adapter on my 5N. Beautiful lens. Slightly better than the AFD 85/1.4 Cream Machine Classic in control of chromatic aberrations. Similar rendering from memory. Good for the price.
    Thanks,
    Nam